Animal testing: a cry for help

Animal testing is far more serious than merely spraying perfume in a dog’s fur. In fact, the severity is depressing enough to make any human being cry.

Different torturous forms of animal testing include acute toxicity tests in which high doses of a substance are given to animals by force-feeding and inhalation, and /or absorption through skin. They experience diarrhea, seizures, paralysis and other horrific side effects until they ultimately die.  Additionally, eye and skin irritation/corrosion tests are a procedure where rabbits are put in full body restraints as a chemical is dripped or smeared into their eyes or onto bare skin for days causing ulcers, bleeding, and blindness as according PETA’s website.

Animals are tested on for research on the effects of pharmaceutical, cosmetic, or household cleaning products.  This cruel practice is unnecessary because it does not even prove to be very beneficial or accurate. Animal tests and human results are agreeable only 5 to 25 percent of the time according to a scientific executive at Huntingdon Life Sciences. A study suggests that fewer than 2 percent of human illnesses are ever found in animals. Even still, researchers infect animals with strains of cancer.

There are alternatives to animal testing. For instance, pieces of tissue have been grown in test tubes from donated human cells portrays an article on the New York Times website. This can be tested on in place of animals. The article adds that other companies use computer simulation programs for virtual testing.

Yet, about 100 million vertebrate and invertebrate animals are used for research in the U.S. every year according to Stephanie Ernst on her animal rights blog at change.org. Animals have feelings too and the pain they endure for human research is unbearable to imagine. Animal abuse is illegal, but testing animals is abusing them, so why is it allowed?

Buying products tested on animals just contributes to helping these beautiful creatures suffer. There are viewable online lists of companies that do not test finished products, ingredients, or formulations on animals such as the Cruelty-Free Shopping Guide on leapingbunny.org. Websites like these should be supported and funded by consumers so that we can end animal testing before it gets too out of hand.

View Comments (2)