Mumps in ESD, prevention

The Edmonds School District (ESD) has confirmed a case of the mumps as of May 5 and the affected school has been alerted. Mara Marano-Bianco, the ESD Health Services Program Manager, sent out mumps prevention steps to ESD staff.

According to Marano-Bianco, Mumps is a “contagious disease caused by a virus” preventable by vaccination. Mumps are typically spread by spending extended amounts of time with someone who has the virus.

Marano-Bianco gave examples of doing activities with a person who has mumps or living with them. She also said it spreads through “saliva or mucus from the mouth, nose or throat”, and by coughing, sneezing, sharing utensils or touching the same surfaces as an infected person.

“It typically starts with a few days of fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, and loss of appetite, followed by swollen salivary glands and in men, testicular glands,” Marano-Bianco said.

Marano-Bianco said to notify the school and a doctor with possible symptoms if they arise.

While mumps is highly contagious, there are simple steps to take in order to prevent infection, such as washing up regularly, avoiding contact with infected people and not sharing cups and utensils. She also advised getting the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine.