Hawks stay undefeated with landslide victory over Raiders

©HAWKEYE image credit: Harper Thomas
Sammy Ruiz bolts down the sideline with the goal in sight.

Remaining undefeated this season with a 3-0 record, the Hawks women’s soccer beat the Nathan Hale Raiders in a dominating victory of 6-1 on Saturday, Sept. 10.

The Hawks started out with shaky midfield defense and struggled to put on an energetic performance. Early on in the game, the Raiders were able to score the first goal.

Afterwards, the Hawks huddled together for a talk about teamwork and being more into the game.

They attacked harder and cheered their teammates on, encouraging each other to play harder. Juniors Isa Kembel and Sammy Ruiz worked together to put up a tough backline defense.

By halftime, Kembel had scored two goals while junior Donnya Kvinge scored the third, bringing the match to 3-1.

During the second half, the Hawks played a vigorous game, keeping the Raiders on their toes. Kembel scored yet another goal, making the score 4-1.

With a header with an assist from the corner, senior Maddie Powers moved the score to 5-1.

The Hawks continued maintaining strong unity and keeping control of the ball. Kembel ended the game with the last goal, making a final score of 6-1.

“The highlight of this game is the midfield defenders and offense all communicating together and passing the ball,” Kembel said. “We killed it today, and we made it through.”

New women’s soccer coach Alvin Little noticed the team’s weaknesses as the game started and brought them together to work it out.

“I pulled off my captains and a couple of other girls and had a little chat with them about our energy and then we started playing Hawk soccer,” he said.

Little credited his strategic choice of player substitutions and “good looks standing on the sidelines” as highlights of the game.

For the remainder of the season, Little hopes the team will keep developing and prepare for WesCo.

“I want to make sure that we’re well prepared, we’re well organized, we keep playing hard and physical,” Little said. “The big thing is keeping the girls healthy.”
The Hawks look forward to their next game against the rival Lynnwood Royals on Tuesday, Sept. 13 at Lynnwood High School at 7:30 pm.