Football: Hawks shut out Bishop Blanchet, 28-0

A week ago, the Hawks’ defense was struggling to keep the opposing offense out of the end zone.  On a night where the offense was having trouble moving the ball early on, the defense held its ground.  Each Blanchet offensive attack was met by a tough defensive stand by the Hawks.

Mountlake Terrace (2-1) used five turnovers, including three interceptions by sophomore Mason Stone, to pull away from Bishop Blanchet (1-2) in a non-conference battle.  The Hawks’ secondary, despite the absence of Zack Karels, rebounded from last week’s game with a more inspiring performance.

Stone, whose three interceptions ties the school record for most interceptions in a single game, felt the past week of practice provided the team with an opportunity to polish up its schemes.

“We were pretty prepared for what Blanchet had to throw at us, and we just came in mentally prepared and physically as well,” Stone said.

Although Stone led the team statistically on defense, other contributors included Martinze Johnson with an interception of his own and Stafford Williams with two sacks.

Out of the five turnovers, none were nearly as important as Jordan Iese’s forced fumble and recovery to start the second half.  With the Hawks hanging on to a 6-0 lead since Griffin Rash’s touchdown on the first drive of the game, Iese’s forced fumble gave the Hawks a chance to stretch the lead.

They did just that.

Freshman running back Devante Downs, filling in for the injured Karels, scored on a 26-yard touchdown run, and Hunter Rook followed up with the two-point conversion to give the Hawks a 14-0 lead.  The score gave the Hawks some separation and breathing room.

When asked about what was going through his mind during the run, Downs said with a smile, “I hope I don’t get caught from behind.”

Shortly afterwards, Hunter Rook found Mitch Haldane for a 22-yard touchdown pass extending the lead to 21-0.  Finally, Downs scored once again for his second touchdown of the night.

Next week’s matchup is a battle against traditional powerhouse Meadowdale (2-1) at Edmonds Stadium, 8:00 p.m.  The Mavericks fell to district rival Edmonds-Woodway 10-7 late Friday night.  The Hawks will not take this upcoming game lightly, as Meadowdale is a much different opponent than Bishop Blanchet.

“It’s a big game. We can’t get too cocky because that’s what happened against Oak Harbor. We just gotta keep our heads up and stay strong and get ready for war,” Stone said.