Q&A with Chris Raunio

A portion of the team stands proudly with the 4A District 1 championship trophy.

What do tennis and baseball have in common? Well, nothing much besides the fact that it takes a mighty swing to make the ball travel a long distance.  Oh, and then there’s senior Chris Raunio, whose favorite sports just happen to be tennis and baseball.  The third baseman has provided the Terrace Baseball Team with great leadership, and he shed some light on how this season has gone from a player’s perspective.

Q: How long have you been playing baseball?

A: I have been playing for 14 years.

Q: What is the best aspect of your game?

A: I think my knowledge, and my ability to not make mental errors.

Q: How does it feel to be in the playoffs and what is it going to take to keep advancing?

A: It feels great to be in the playoffs. We weren’t expected to compete very well this year, but we have done a great job coming together as a team to win games.

Q: You are a co-captain this year; how do feel your leadership has influenced the team?

A: We have a lot of younger players on the team, so I think Andrew [Woeck] and I have done a good job of getting them ready to play varsity baseball, and helping them focus at times during the season.

Q: At this point, is the team more focused on “enjoying the ride” or trying to reach state?

A: Our goal is definitely to reach state. We have 7 seniors on this team so we want to finish off our high school careers on a good note. I think everyone on our team would be disappointed if we didn’t go to state, because we all know our teams potential, and we all feel like we belong in the state playoffs.

Q: How did you prepare in the offseason for this spring?

A: I spent time at the field with some of the other players taking extra groundballs, and I spent time in the batting cage working on my swing.

Q: Any plans for college athletics?

A: I don’t think I’ll play baseball in college, but I might play intramural tennis.

Q: What interests do you have outside of baseball?

A: I enjoy tennis, all sports, and reading.

Q: Favorite baseball player?

A: Derek Jeter.

Q: Which are you better at: tennis or baseball?

A: I think I’m better at baseball because I’ve been playing it longer, but compared to the competition, I’m probably better at tennis.