Lucy Schermer: A perfect mix of passion and grace

Lucy Schermer (right) performs a piece at her senior flute recital on May 9 at the MTHS Theater, accompanied by pianist Kristine Anderson (left).

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGGijNVmhE

She first picked up flute at the age of four. Fourteen years later, Lucy Schermer has become one of the most recognized musicians in the MTHS instrumental music program.

She isn’t the first musician in her family, however. Her mom used to play the violin and trumpet and her dad plays the upright bass professionally.

In the beginning of her high school career, she was the only freshman in Chamber Winds. Chamber Winds is the higher-level band. Most freshmen start in Symphonic Band and move up to Chamber Winds their sophomore year.

“I didn’t know anyone, but it was an amazing experience. All of the upperclassmen ‘adopted’ me and made me feel like part of the band,” Schermer said.

This year, she has been a member of Chamber Winds, Jazz 1 and pep band for fall football games.

“I don’t take any credit for Lucy or her successes. She was well on track before she came here and would have done well anywhere,” MTHS Band Director Darin Faul, said.

Schermer placed first in the 2014 Horsfall Flute Competition’s Upper Division. She also placed first in the Lower Division in 2011. In 2013 she placed third.

Horsfall Flute Competition is open to flutists from sixth grade to twelfth grade and is sponsored by the Seattle Flute Society. For the Upper Division of the competition, those in tenth to twelfth grade, the first place prize is $500. Winners from both divisions perform in the Horsfall Winners’ Recital.

She also placed first in the WMEA-WIAA State Solo and Ensemble Competition in the solo flute category, a feat she also accomplished in 2012. In February of 2013 she also performed the Georges Hüe Fantaisie for flute and orchestra with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra.

“I love competing,” Schermer stated. “Partially because I get to play for someone that I have never played for before and then get feedback, and also because I get to hear my friends and other musicians in the area play, which is also fun.”

Faul described Schermer as one who plays with intense passion.

“Lucy has gotten more sophisticated in her interpretation of music. She learns pieces faster and what she plays is more advanced. She sight-reads much better than she did when she came to high school. She is just as serious about music as she ever was. Lucy is one of those people who just has music in her. When she plays she can’t help but be expressive and passionate and that comes out in her playing. Lucy, the person, is more mature and focused. She has stable friends who she cares about and who care about her as a person and are also supportive and encouraging of her musical aspirations,” Faul said.

Faul also commented on Schermer’s ability to teach and help others reach their musical potential.

“Lucy is also a great teacher. She has helped lots of flute players at our school. She also teaches my daughter private flute lessons and does an outstanding job. Lucy has been playing flute since she was little and still remembers how it felt to learn things for the first time. She brings that patience and understanding to her teaching while also making it incredible fun,” he said.

While reflecting back on what band has taught her these past four years she stated said, “[Band] really emphasizes that being in music is like being part of a big family. It’s a thing everybody shares and can relate to.”

She received a $2,500 scholarship from the Robert Anderson Scholarship and will be attending Duquesne University in Pittsburgh in the fall. She wants to pursue a career in music but doesn’t know what she wants to do exactly, yet.

At the year’s last band concert on June 5, the seniors were recognized and asked to talk about their time in band. Schermer told the audience that she is one of the few lucky people that have seen Faul’s happy dance.

“I brought him a note that said I had lost my voice and that I couldn’t talk and he did his happy dance.”

Schermer was honored with the John Sousa Award that night. When he presented Schermer with the award, Faul reflected to the audience his experience with Schermer. It was clear, as he got choked up, that she has made a lasting impression on the music program at MTHS.