Auction and dessert buffet event to raise money for ESD robotics

©HAWKEYE image credit: Jacob Allard
Children controlling a robot

The Edmonds School District (ESD) robotics teams collaborated to organize an all-you-can-eat dessert buffet and auction in hopes to raise money for their FTC and FRC robotics teams. The event will take place today at Edmonds Woodway High School in the Cafeteria/Auditorium from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
The combined auction and dessert buffet was put together by a group of mentors and advisors from MTHS, Lynnwood High School, Edmonds Woodway High School and Edmonds Heights.
The venue of the fundraiser rotates from school to school to give the hosting team a break, according to Eugene Seubert, the MTHS Robotics team’s treasurer.
In previous years, this event included a spaghetti dinner. This will be the first dessert-only buffet that will be including cakes, ice cream and brownies.
“We wanted to see how this year would go if we just did dessert instead of spaghetti dinner,” Seubert said.
Along with the buffet, there will be live and silent auctions for items including gift certificates, sailing boat trips, segway tours, and other free trips. Many auction items come from MTHS families who buy the items, and donate them to the robotics team. Other items come from various sponsors who have donated different trips, tours and other things.
Sponsors of this event include Segway of Edmonds, The Wooden Spoon, Spangler Re-Read Book Exchange, Costco, Savory, Art Spot, Edmonds Bookstore, Namaste Salon and Spa, Otherworlds and Pet Adventure.
All of the money raised will benefit the robotics teams, both FIRST Robotic Competition (FTC) and FIRST Tech Challenge (FRC). It will go toward traveling expenses, any tools or marketing items they may need and creating the robots for competition.