Ryder leaves on a sweet note

©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner
Senior Braden Ryder plays a tune on his trombone for the first round of Terrace got Talent, where he advanced to round two.

If you’re wandering the hallways of Terrace and hear a faint trombone, odds are it’s senior Braden Ryder. With a passion for the arts – especially the trombone – he lights up every room he walks into with his humor and enthusiasm.
Ryder found his love for the trombone in fifth grade. He kicked off band playing clarinet, but his director at the time needed more students to play trombone. Ryder took the opportunity, and never looked back. He said it was, “The best decision I ever made.”
When schools began to shut down in 2020 due to COVID, Ryder hadn’t been in jazz band for too long, but it was just long enough to know it was what he wanted to do.
In his freshman year at Terrace, Ryder had come from Meadowdale Middle School and only had plans to be a member of the Jazz Band and STEM programs.
It was the first year back from lockdown, and Ryder knew nobody at school. He spent his time mostly by himself, before someone invited him to the drama team, and that was where things began to take off for him.
Throughout his time at Terrace, Ryder won a number of awards for his trombone playing. He was an All State Jazz Band bass trombonist. Additionally, when playing in a band with 3-5 trombonists, he managed to place as the Best of the Best.
He was also a finalist for the Solo Ensemble contest at Central Washington University, getting the highest possible score in the competition; however he ultimately failed to place. Even though he didn’t place, he was happy having been able to do that.
In addition to being an exemplary trombone player, that isn’t all that Ryder has done. Ryder is also a member of drama, acting in several plays. He also fought against potential drama cuts that have plagued the program over the last few years.

Braden Ryder practicing for Hot Java Cool Jazz performance. (©HAWKEYE image credit: Efrata Solomon)

He went to all district meetings related to the budget cuts to show support for all the teachers and programs being cut. During one of these protests at the Edmonds School District office, Ryder got up in front of the District Board with around 150 other students to express their disdain for the budget cuts. Staying late into the evening, Ryder was dedicated to showing his support for the arts.
Ryder has also spent his time at MTHS providing humor and fun for others. Junior Terina Papatu says that Braden did things out of boredom.
In his sophomore year, Ryder began to hand out a fake currency known as Billy Bucks. This currency had zero material value and featured an unknown person’s face on them. Ryder would hand them out to other students seemingly at random. They were never used, and could not be traded in for anything.
In the same year, the film “Morbius” was re-released in theaters, there was a mass following primarily consisting of jokes and memes about the film. This inspired Ryder to go out of his way and rent an entire room at the AMC 16 theater to host a school watch party of the film. He designed and put up posters around the school. Juniors and seniors still remember the experience to this day.
It’s safe to say that the legacy of Ryder will not be forgotten. His post-graduation plan is to attend the University of Idaho, where he plans to major in music education and play in their jazz band. He has shown a strong desire to educate others on music, and wishes to teach whoever he can.
When he finishes college, he wants to become a teacher back in Washington at a high school or college level. As he inspires those around him today, he hopes to inspire the musicians of tomorrow.