“The Robber Bridegroom” musical to premiere Wednesday

The MTHS drama department will show off their first production of the year, “The Robber Bridegroom.” This musical will premiere in the theater from Wednesday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. and will continue every night until Saturday, Jan. 13.

“The Robber Bridegroom” is an old western themed love story involving Jamie Lockhart, a thief who “steals with style” as the character says, and Rosamund, the daughter of the richest man in Mississippi. These two unlikely lovers get caught up in a lot of trouble with an evil stepmother, another thief with a bone to pick with Jamie and much more.

“We’ve all had our nervousness and our doubts but I think it will really pay off,” junior Michael Wollan, playing the lead of Jamie Lockhart, said.

Wollan stated that he has been in drama for three years now. He was first introduced to drama as the usher for the first show his freshman year and decided to become the technician for the second show that year. After that, he finally got a part in his first play called “Honk!” and has continued in drama ever since.

“Just come here and be yourself,” Wollan said, giving advice to people interested in joining drama.

Aurora Baker, a senior acting as Rosamund in the play, has had a lot of experience in drama. She has participated in every play since “Gypsy” in her freshman year and has experience dating back to elementary school and middle school.

“I feel like it’s going to go really well,” she said.

Both actors Baker and Wollan have great confidence in the ability of their castmates and themselves in the final product of the play.

“With all the effort put into this, we’ll do very well,” Wollan said.

The production of the play started in the beginning of October, giving the cast three months to practice.

Tickets are $10 for general admission and $8 for students with an ASB card, children, and seniors. All tickets will be sold at the door.