Meadowdale High School junior dies after collapsing in PE class

By Nick Fiorillo, Editor-in-Chief

A Meadowdale High School junior died earlier this morning after collapsing in a PE class.

Matthew Truax was in his third period class when he collapsed and was unable to be revived by MHS staff, paramedics and hospital staff, according to MHS administrators.

In a letter sent to MHS parents from MHS Principal Kevin Allen, Truax’s family gave permission to release the information of his death.

In the letter, Allen said, “Those who knew Matthew knew him as a respectful, hard-working young man who was serious about his education; an all-around nice kid who we will miss.”

The email also stated that the Truax family requested time to grieve privately.

Allen told parents in the email that resources would be provided to help students cope with grief over the Truax’s death.

“Our counselors, as well as counselors from across the Edmonds School District, will be available to our students throughout Monday, and longer if necessary in both classrooms as well as small groups,” according to the email.

About the Writer
Nick Fiorillo, Editor-in-Chief

Nick Fiorillo is the Editor-in-Chief of the Hawkeye and thehawkeye.org. This is Nick's second year of serving as editor. Last year, he led the Hawkeye in one of the organization's most dramatic transformations in decades, replacing the broadsheet newspaper with a feature based newsmagazine and an emphasis on online content.

Prior to serving as editor-in-chief, Nick was the local news editor during his sophomore year and was a staff reporter during his freshman year.

Nick was named as the 2014 Free Spirit Scholar from Washington state, and traveled to Washington, D.C. as the Washington state delegate to the 2014 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference. He has received several state and national awards for journalism, including several JEA National Write-off Competition Awards. He was recently awarded the rating of "Superior" for Editorial Writing at the Spring 2014 JEA/NSPA High School Journalism Conference in San Diego, Calif.

His interests include journalism, politics, public policy, law and education. He plans on attending a four-year university and majoring in political science and social policy.

You can view his pressfolio here.

Twitter: @nick_fiorillo

LinkedIn: Nick Fiorillo