• The new issue of the Hawkeye is out, pick up a copy now

• FOOTBALL: Hawks look to keep on rolling Friday September 29th as they take on the Meadowdale Mavericks, 8pm at Edmonds Stadium

Remembering 9/11 through the eyes of the Hawkeye

Issue No. 2 of the 2011-2012 Hawkeye featured numerous stories and reactions to 9/11.

By Nick Fiorillo

Issue No. 2 of the 2001-2002 Hawkeye focused on reactions to 9/11.

The images and memories of September 11, 2001 have been made permanent in all of our minds. We remember the thousands of American lives lost in the vicious terrorist attacks. We pay tribute to the brave men and women who died to save others. We will never forget that infamous day.

After wondering what we would do this year to commemorate 9/11, we wondered how the Hawkeye staff, 12 years before us, handled the story. We went into the old issues cabinet and found the issue that followed the Sep. 11, 2001 attacks, and the issue that came out in Sep. 2002, the one year anniversary.

Issue 1 of Volume 16 of the Hawkeye came out on Sep. 26, 2001, 14 days after the attacks. The issue included a staff editorial addressing the somber way to start the new school year.

Hawkeye is your paper

The school year has started on a somber note with the terrorist attacks on the East Coast. The Hawkeye staff extends its condolences to all families affected by the events of Sept. 11.- Hawkeye staff editorial, Sep. 26, 2001

That issue, the Hawkeye also ran a front page story about a local mosque that was vandalized after the attacks.

Lynnwood mosque vandalized

By Megan Rankins and Ashley Scharbach

As a result of the terrorist attacks against the United States of Sept. 11, threatening messages were left on the answering machine of the Lynnwood based mosque and damage was done to their sign in black paint. According to Trudy Dana, the public information officer at the Lynnwood police department, the police department is providing extensive protection for the mosque, as is the Citizens Patrol and Senior Patrol.

“The Lynnwood police department is doing a good job. We appreciate that very, very much,” Naser, a member of the mosque’s board of directors, said.

The terrorist attack saddened the members of the mosque just as much as it did other Americans, according to mosque member Sulerman. In addition to prayers, the mosque sent a flyer out urging people to donate blood.

“This is an attack against humanity, not a religion,” Naser said.

Since the large amount of media coverage, the mosque has received over 250 totally positive, supportive calls and many flowers from community members, Naser said.

“It’s really brought the community together.” Sulerman said. “We feel like we belong to this country.”

Both members of the mosque declined to give their last names in fear of harassment.

One year later, the Hawkeye had special coverage of the one year anniversary of 9/11. Then student Stephani Huden organized a remembrance assembly. The Hawkeye printed several reactions of students and teachers from that assembly.

Revisiting Tragedy

“The 9-11 assembly was a well thought out presentation that stirred up deep and powerful emotions. Tears were shed and hugs were shared and feelings were put out in the open again.” -John Rozzell, [then] junior

“The context was very appropriate and well done as well as concept. My only regret is I wish we could have had more members of the Mountlake Terrace Fire and Police Departments present so we could pay our respects.” – Kim Stewart, ASB Adviser/Activities Coordinator

“I  was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t an hour-long sob fest. I was afraid that we were going to have to relive footage from last year [2001], but was pleasantly surprised by the officers’ informative new take on the tragic subject.” – [then] student teacher, Rachel Patterson

We will never forget that day: September 11, 2001.