January 2013 students of the month

January 2013 Students of the Month
January 2013 Students of the Month

The Edmonds School District selects two students each month to each of the high schools to recognize their accomplishments and achievements. Go to the ESD website for the complete list and information for the January 2013 students of the month.

January 2013 Students of the Month
January 2013 Students of the Month

Student Name: Tin Trung Ho
Mother’s Name: Yen Dang
Father’s Name: Deceased
GPA: 3.96
Clubs & Activities: Honor society member
Athletics: I played tennis all 4 years. I am currently the captain of my Varsity Tennis team. I am very dedicated to my team, and set it as a priority. I also managed for the girl’s tennis team for a year, but I have to quit managing for them this upcoming season due to family priorities at home.
ASB: My sophomore year, I was a representative; and my junior year, I was my class president.
Honors: I have taken Honors World History 9, Honors Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Statistics, AP Physics, AP Language and Composition.
Awards: AP Scholar. Most inspirational award in tennis for 3 years in a row.
Community Service: I help tutor at my school library during “Study Hawks.” I also volunteer at Food Lifeline with my sister once in a while.
Culminating Project: For my culmination project, I am creating a college application and scholarship portfolio. I have recently applied to the Gates Millennium Scholars and the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund which required me to write 11 essays. I have applied to the University of Washington and will be applying to the Washington State University.
Future Educational Goals: I want to go to the University of Washington and major in chemical engineering.
Future Career Goals: I want to become a chemical engineer, so I can contribute to solving the world’s problems such as disease, hunger, electricity problems, etc.
Anything else we should know: My dad passed away when I was eight years old from lung cancer. My mom had a stroke when I was 16 years old due to an aneurysm in her brain. I want to become a chemical engineer so I can contribute to solving these problems for others. I’ve always wanted to go to the University of Washington. I plan to pursue as many scholarships and opportunities as possible that will make it possible for me to attend the UW.

Student Name: Jerusalem Kifelew
Mother’s Name: Roza Getachew
Father’s Name: Wuby Kifelew
GPA: 4.00
Clubs & Activities: MTHS Key Club, National Honor Society, FCCLA, Invisible Children, Prayer Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes
Athletics: MTHS Varsity Swim Team
ASB: Link Crew.
Honors: My sophomore year I received a 5 on the AP European History exam.
Culminating Project: I am currently completing my senior project through the Running Start program. I am constructing a portfolio of essays about my high school experience and how I have changed as a learner.
Current Employment: I am proud to work at the Lynnwood Recreation Center as a lifeguard and swim instructor.
Future Educational Goals: I hope to attend the University of Washington and get my bachelors and masters in bioengineering within five years, while also minoring in business and Spanish.
Community Service: I have volunteered as a tutor for the Book Buddies program at the Mountlake Terrace Library. I have also volunteered for my church’s vacation bible school program, and completed 102 hours of community service as a mentor at O.S.P.R.E.Y. Camp.
Future Career Goals: I plan on becoming a bioengineer. My goal is to help serve the community by making artificial organs for those in need and prosthetic limbs for veterans.
Anything else we should know: I am so honored to get this award, thank you so much!