A Night in Vienna

Although its planned Vienna trip isn’t until next summer, the MTHS band program’s fundraising efforts led by the music boosters have already started.

Last night, the MTHS Jazz Ensemble performed at Matthew’s Winery in Woodinville in an event that included a silent auction, raffles, food, wine tasting, and of course, music. The band, consisting of participants from last week’s jazz workshop at Edmonds Woodway H.S., performed for an hour in front of an audience of over 200. The fundraiser, dubbed “A Night in Vienna”, attracted numerous friends, family and community members.

The jazz ensemble has been busy over the past few days with a concert at Edmonds Woodway H.S. to conclude its week-long workshop and a gig at Tula’s Jazz Club in Seattle.

From Aug. 6-10, the concert band workshop took place under the direction of University of Washington Professor Tim Salzman and a few of his graduate students. Local professional musicians also helped students improve their skills throughout the week.

Both the concert band and the jazz band will travel to the Portland area this week for performances and team building opportunities. Highlights of the trip include a performance at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum and the Vancouver Jazz Festival.

The workshops were first offered in 2004 and have played an integral part in the MTHS band program’s development.