Martin places first in annual singing competition

This year’s Terrace Idol was held at the Mountlake Terrace High School Theater,  on Feb. 1, 8, and 15.
After auditioning for Terrace Idol,  judges Mackenzie Thoms, Teal Douville, and Katherine Romano chose twenty finalists to move to the first round.
Contestants from Mountlake Terrace High School were Alisha Clingan, Emily Drew, Jordan McKinney, Ellie Samuelson, Senaiet Zerom, Kaitlyn Martin, and Jilene Guaio.
From Shorecrest High School, the contestants were Gabe Ortega, Matt Fletcher, and Rheanna Atendido.
The competitors from Lynnwood High School were Cheryl Kennedy and Haley Rosmith.
Meadowdale High School contestants were Shannon Karnoski, Jade Perry, Kelly Moya, and Alicia Rivera.
Edmonds Woodway High School contestants were Tammy Nguyen, Hannah Bunson, Jade Folk, and Adalisa Husovic.
Of these talented singers, 10 advanced to the second round: Senaiet Zerom (MTHS), Tammy Nguyen (EWHS), Alisha Clingan (MTHS), Emily Drew (MTHS), Gabe Ortega (SCHS), Kaitlyn Martin (MTHS), Matt Fletcher (SCHS), Shannon Karnoski (MDHS), Rheanna Atendido (SCHS), and Jordan Mckinney (MTHS).
Final round contestants were Alisha Clingan, Tammy Nguyen, Kaitlyn Martin, Matt Fletcher, Senaiet Zerom, and Shannon Karnoski.
For the first time, a “Wild Card” was brought back, Matt Fletcher. A “Wild Card” is choosing a past contestant that was eliminated in an earlier round to the final round.
The winner was Kaitlyn Martin, beating runner up Tammy Nguyen by audience vote, after singing her three incredible song choices.
The first night, Martin played “What I Wouldn’t Do”, a song by A Fine Frenzy, with Karin Redden shaking the maracas and Calvin Martin on the piano.
For the second night, Martin chose “The Show” by  Lenka to play.
On the final night, Martin was joined by Myles Stillwaugh playing ukulele and Redden playing a drum for Martin’s original song “Worth It.”
As her winning song, Martin played her own “Hey You” that has been available on iTunes.