STEM program featured at Terrace starting in 2012-13

The STEM magnet school program is an exciting expansion of the pre-engineering program at MTHS.

The STEM program is a 4-year program that consists of powerful combination of studies in science, technology, engineering and math that will be available to all students in the Edmonds School District.

MTHS has experienced a significant decline in student enrollment over the past few years and the district is working to address the issue for next year and beyond and hopes STEM will attract students to the school.

Principal Greg Schwab said, “I believe that STEM is a good thing for our whole school as it provides students with another challenging academic program.”

This accelerated program will give students a strong and exciting range of classes that will prepare them well for entrance into science and engineering majors at universities in Washington or nationwide.

Students are expected to have excellent school attendance, the willingness to work hard in all classes, a strong desire to take accelerated math and science courses, have problem solving and creative thinking skills and be well-rounded and willing to participate in all aspects of school, including extracurricular activities.

This choice magnet program is open to all incoming 9th grade students in the Edmonds School District beginning fall of 2012. Next year’s 10th graders may also be eligible for this program. All students take a common core of courses in grades 9-10 focused on preparing students for advanced-level studies at the 11th and 12th grade levels.

Students will be working with their counselors to accommodate requirements needed for graduation.

Students who choose to attend the STEM Magnet School and who reside outside of the MTHS attendance area must maintain enrollment in the full STEM program as stated in the STEM Program of Study.  Students who choose not to maintain their enrollment in the program will be notified that they need to transfer back to their home high school at the end of the semester.

Schwab and assistant principal Peter Schurke will oversee the program. Teachers Craig DeVine, Dan Lafferty, and the current math and science teachers will be in charge of teaching them. Program tours are available on Feb. 8 and 15. Applications must be delivered to the Main Office at MTHS by 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17.

MTHS has long been known for its strong student achievements in math and science and for its nationally certified Pre-Engineering program called “Project Lead the Way.” Its location in the Pacific Northwest also puts it in the center of a STEM-based business community surrounded by companies such as Boeing, Microsoft, Fluke, Intermec, Zymogenetics and many others.

These companies believe that there aren’t enough people with sufficient education and skills in engineering, math and science.

This new STEM magnet program is drawing immediate and strong support from local colleges, universities and technology-based companies.

These new partners will work together to help create a powerful path for students from high school to college to employment in STEM related fields.