As one Hawk takes wing, another is set to land

Incoming principal Crosby Carpenter. (Photo courtesy of Crosby Carpenter.)

With this current school year coming to a close, the Edmonds School District is set to receive many changes going into the 2023-2024 school year. At Terrace specifically, we will be losing an important figure in our school’s administration. In an announcement sent through email on April 27, Principal Greg Schellenberg notified students and families at MTHS that he will not be returning to his position next school year.

“These past six years have been both challenging (COVID) and personally and professionally fulfilling. MTHS has a bright future and I look forward to hearing the continued success of Terrace students and programs,” he said in the email.

Staff were notified of his departure the month prior.

“Terrace is incredible. The people are terrific and the kids here are outstanding,” he said in a quick email to staff on March 24. “It has been a pleasure to be here and to help see the school through some tough times.”

The finalists for the new principal were chosen and announced to staff on April 28.

The two potential candidates were Jamila Gordon, the current vice principal of a Shoreline School District middle school, and Crosby Carpenter, the principal of a high school in Methow Valley School District about four hours away from Snohomish County. Following the announcement, they were set to continue the interview process to decide who would become Terrace’s new principal.

On May 1, a principal forum was held over a Zoom meeting intended for families, students and staff to participate in and raise any questions or concerns they had for the candidates. Following the forum, the announcement of the new principal was made in the afternoon of May 4. Assistant superintendent, as well as former MTHS principal, Greg Schwab, sent out the notice via ParentSquare.

“We are pleased to announce that Crosby Carpenter has been selected as the next principal of Mountlake Terrace High School. Crosby comes to us from the Methow Valley School District where he has been the principal of Liberty Bell Jr.- Sr. High School,” the email said.

The new principal will officially start his new position as principal on July 1 to plan for the 2023-2024 school year. Carpenter is looking forward to meeting new faces at MTHS.

“I can’t wait to get started and get to know everyone,” he said. “I’ve been described as ‘high energy.’ I move around a lot, I like to be visible, in hallways and classrooms, talking to students and staff.”
Although leaving from his current school to Terrace is quite the move, Carpenter wants to be closer to family and face a new challenge.

“I’ve mainly worked in smaller schools, so the opportunity to work at a larger high school with such outstanding programs and community pride was a huge attraction. I have friends who’ve worked at Terrace. They rave about the students, staff and community.” he said.
Since graduating from college, Carpenter has worked all around the west. From Navajo Nation in New Mexico to the Lake Chelan School District, to his current position in MVSD.

Regarding the district budget cuts, Carpenter believes the state’s forced reductions to school’s budgets is quite hurtful to the different programs in public schools.

“We need to make our voices heard at the state level by advocating for an increase in funding for our public schools. My plan [for these programs] would be to start by listening to students, staff, parents, and anyone with a vested interest in sustaining the performing arts programs at Terrace in order to find creative solutions to preserve these programs,” Carpenter said.

As far as students go, their safety is Carpenter’s first priority, expressing how prepared he is to meet with students and staff to listen to their concerns as well as brainstorm solutions as a group so he can ensure students are heard and kept out of trouble.

“How do we ensure Terrace is a place where every student is engaged and experiences a sense of belonging? It starts by meeting with students and staff to hear their concerns and experiences related to these topics, then brainstorm solutions,” he said. “I’m not a big fan of large all-school educational assemblies. I think this work needs to be done in smaller groups. My goal when speaking with students who’ve engaged in violent behavior or substance use is to try to understand why. I also believe in working in partnership with law enforcement and community organizations to make sure students feel supported, safe, and celebrated in their learning.”