May News Update

A lot happens in a month. From fashion to finance, we are constantly bombarded by headlines from around the world. 

Here are the Hawkeye’s picks for what you need to know.

State

© HAWKEYE Charli Gilchrist

Misconceptions about Senate Bill 5599

By Lucas Barquin

Since Senate Bill 5599 was introduced, many speculations and miscommunications have emerged. This bill amends state law for runaways under 18, and provides protection for Washington children who run away and end up in youth centers in pursuit of abortion care, reproductive medicine or gender-affirming care. The bill does not take children away from families as thought by some, nor does it give shelters the right to perform surgeries on youth without the parents’ knowledge. The only change with the bill is that a shelter can now notify the Washington Department of Child, Youth, and Families before the parents of the youth in question.

© HAWKEYE lucas barquin

Washington ban on assault weapons

By Halle Connell

A new Washington state bill banning the production of assault weapons was introduced by the state Senate and House committee on April 14. Bill 1143, introduced to the House of committee on Jan. 9,  got a majority House ruling, 27 yeas to 21 nays, to pass the bill onto the Senate. The bill completely prohibits assault weapon manufacturing in Washington, including AR-15s, AK 47s, semi-automatic rifles and any weapon that can accept detachable magazines. 

This will also ban the transfer of assault rifles into the state. However, the bill does not ban the possession of assault weapons for law enforcement, as well as the exception of inheritance, according to KING5 News. 

The bill was officially passed by the Senate after the most recently publicized Nashville elementary school shooting in Tennessee that left six people dead: three teachers andthree students. This event shook the nation, leading to a massive protest within the community. 

The turmoil soon made headlines in many other states across the country. Washington’s efforts to ban assault weapons have sparked conversation across the state and the nation. As the event was discussed, word spread of the National Rifle Association possibly threatening a lawsuit against Washington for this “unconstitutional” bill. 

A recent report has shown that the Second Amendment Foundation has filed an official lawsuit against the statement, claiming that it violated the second amendment. The lawsuit pursued by the Second Amendment Foundation remains ongoing. 

Washington is now the 10th state in the nation to put some type of ban on assault weapons. 

The bill was signed by Gov. Jay Inslee on April 25, officially making it illegal to make, sell and distribute assault rifles in Washington.

National

“Don’t Say Gay” bill expanded

By Lucas Barquin

The “Don’t Say Gay” bill that took effect in Florida on July 1, 2022, has now been expanded to all grades. Students in Florida’s  K-12 public schools will now be prohibited from learningabout sexual orientation and gender identity in the classroom. Pre-kindergarten through third grade are prohibited from teaching about these subjects at all, and fourth through 12th grade are prohibited unless expressly required by preexisting state standards, and must be done in an appropriate way.

Opponents of HB 1557 dubbed it the “Don’t Say Gay’’ bill, saying the law furthers LGBTQ+ discrimination. Although the already established anti-discrimination law will prohibit this bill from going into legal discrimination territory, many are scared of how the bill will be interpreted and enacted throughout the state.  

While the original legislation was under consideration, many protests erupted, including student walkouts and worker strikes at Disney. Despite these protests, the bill still went through, and has now been expanded. 

Many political figures have also denounced this bill, including President Joe Biden and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, pointing out that this bill will further discriminate against already marginalized groups. 

In spite of all the backlash, the bill was signed into effect on March 28 by Florida Gov. Ron Desantis. Critics of the new bill say that it is too vague and that it may be used to further isolate queer students, though conservative commentators have refuted this claim. 

While the supporters continue to claim this law is meant to better connect parents to their students’ learning, many are afraid of what the outcome may be.

© HAWKEYE Charli Gilchrist

Over-the-counter Naloxone nasal spray

By Seras Bryner

As of March 29, the FDA has approved over-the-counter naloxone nasal spray. Naloxone, commonly known as Narcan, is used on people who are overdosing to help reverse the effects. Previously, it w

as approved by the FDA as a prescription drug only. According to the FDA, there were more than 100,000 deaths due to overdose in a 12-month period in 2022. The FDA’s goal and commitment is to prevent more deaths in the overdose crisis across America. The medication will be available at local drug stores, but the time of availability and price is currently unknown.

© HAWKEYE Charli Gilchrist

Tennesse’s ban on drag

By A. Knowlton

On March 2, 2023, the Tennessee Senate Bill 3, also known as the Tennessee drag ban, was passed. This  bill initially restricts “adult cabaret performances” in public or within the company of children, as well from being within 1,000 feet of schools, public parks and any places of worship. The anti-drag bill was signed into law by Gov. Bill Lee and went into effect April 1, 2023. Anyone violating the ban will be faced with misdemeanor charges in the first instance. This means that it could be punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and/or up to a year in jail. Those who are found guilty for continuous violations face a felony charge, which is punishable with up to six years in prison. 

“Jim Crow Law 2.0” divides Mississippi

By Lucas Barquin

House Bill 1020 was passed in Mississippi on Feb. 7, which would appoint primarily white judges to the primarily Black capital city of Jackson by separating the city’s judicial districts with a higher white and wealthy population. Many are calling this the Jim Crow law 2.0, further restricting Black citizens’ right to vote. This bill also expands policing in primarily Black communities. Although representatives have stated this bill is unrelated to race, many are questioning the reasoning behind it and raising concerns about how it will affect Jackson’s Black population. 

© HAWKEYE Zoe Teran

Wisconsin Supreme Court changes control                           

By Evan Kerani

Janet Protasiewicz won the Wiconsin Supreme Court election on April 4, flipping the control of the court from a conservative to a liberal majority for the first time in 15 years. Protasiewicz beat Daniel Kelly, a conservative who was previously on the court from 2016 to 2020. With a lawsuit moving through the court system to overturn Wisconsin’s 1849 abortion ban, the issue of abortion played heavily into the campaign. She won the election by a final margin of about 11%, winning 27 of 72 counties. She won by holding Kelly to small margins in the traditionally conservative suburbs of Milwaukee, and through a large youth voter turnout which overwhelmingly favored her