Spring sports of to a shining start

Spring sports are off to a great start. Baseball started their season with back-to-back wins against Spanaway Lake, with a dominating 27-0 victory, and against Marysville-Getchell, with a 14-1 victory. 

Junior Matthew Meadows credits their success “to our approaches at the plate. Each time we go up to bat we aren’t looking to hit a home run, we’re just looking to get on base anyway we can and hit solid line drives in the gaps or opposite fields.” 

Their next home game will be against Shorecrest High School at 4 p.m. Friday, March 24 for their first home conference match-up.

“[I am] looking forward to competing with other teams in our league and showing them what we’re all about,” Meadows said.

The head coach is Ryan Sells and his assistant is his brother Jaykob Sells. Connor Flynn is the JV coach and the pitching coach is Dominic DeMiero. All four coaches are Terrace alumni.

Softball also started strong with back-to-back wins. Coached by Shannon Rasmussen and assisted by Griffin Rash, Craig Rasmussen, Herb Hudson and Kierra Scott, they faced Bishop Blanchet and won 6-5. The next day, they went against Olympic High School and dominated with a 14-4 win against the Trojans. 

“I felt very good about the game against Olympic, it was a complete team win. Everybody was hitting and it was nice to end it off with a run-rule win,” senior Cameron Dunn said.

The team will be traveling to Kamiak High School to face the knights on Thursday, March 23. Their next home game is Monday, March 27 against Marysville-Pilchuck at 4 p.m. 

Dunn credits the team’s success “to our returners really improving their game and our new freshmen who were the missing piece to our puzzle last year. They brought in new hitting and pitching, and all have different staples of play so it’s been awesome to be able to work with all of them so far.”

Women’s golf, coached by Theresa Renico, started their season off with a win against Edmonds-Woodway.

“Winning our first match as a team felt good. I believe it boosted our team’s confidence to do better in the future. Celebrating with an IHOP dinner made it better,” junior Alison Dumo said. Their next match is against Meadowdale on Wednesday, March 22 at the Lynnwood Golf Course.  Men’s golf will face Edmonds-Woodway High School on Wednesday, March 22 at the Nile Golf Course, their team is coached by Albert Jaimes.

Men’s soccer had an exciting win in their season opener against Snohomish High School. The team is coached by Jason Baumgardt and assisted by Chris Mitalas and Erik Schunke. Senior Kyle Mervin led the team to victory with a goal in overtime to finish the match 2-1. 

“Going into the game I felt confident because our team had worked really hard to prepare for the season,” Mervin said.

The next home game for the Hawks will be on March 24 against Marysville-Pilchuck at Edmonds Stadium. 

“I’m really looking forward to seeing our team grow and get even better so that we can hopefully get to playoffs,” he said. 

Women’s tennis started their season with a match on Monday 20 against Arlington High School. Coached by Daniel Brzovic and assisted by Lavon Driscoll, their next home game will be on March 27 against Marysville-Getchell at 3:30 p.m. 

“This year is different. By having so many girls on the team, for being my senior year and might be my last time ever playing,” senior Kayla Marie Apostol said. “This year might be one of the toughest years. We have lost many seniors with amazing talent. Our goals for this year are to push ourselves more to work harder, be positive and have so much fun.”

Track and field has more than 100 athletes participating this year, the largest team at Mountlake Terrace. They are coached by Archie Malloy, Tony Wilson, Katie Burnett and Sharalee Mathews-Malloy. 

Their first conference meet is Thursday, March 23 at Edmonds Stadium against Edmonds-Woodway and Shorewood High School.