The spookiest of seasons is here!

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

Fall has come and the festive fun is just starting, with pumpkins, treats and golden leaves. And yes, Halloween is on the horizon. 

From costumes and supplies to the most chilling horror movies, MTHS students have some great holiday advice.

When looking for the best costumes for Halloween this year, junior Ben Dockter suggests Spirit Halloween, the closest being located just north of MTHS at 19800 44th Ave. W in Lynnwood.

“You’re gonna find some awesome stuff at Spirit Halloween. This year, they got a bunch of cool ‘Killer Klown’ stuff, which is an awesome ’80s horror movie,” Dockter said.

For anyone not familiar with the film, “Killer Klowns from Outer Space” was released in 1988 and is about aliens who look like clowns and terrorize a small town.

However, Dockter said that anyone looking to make their own costume and decorations would have better luck looking elsewhere. 

“A great place to start is a hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowe’s,” he said.

Dockter is no stranger to the horror genre. Some of his favorite Halloween movies include “Evil Dead II,” “Army of Darkness,” “Friday the 13th,” “Beetlejuice,” “Killer Klowns from Outer Space” and “Mars Attacks!” For a great selection of Halloween movies, Dockter recommends Silver Platters in Lynnwood.

“Evil Dead II” is an R-rated movie about the survivor of an onslaught of spirits who holes up in a cabin with a group of strangers while demons attack. 

“Army of Darkness” is another R-rated movie, where a store clerk must retrieve the necronomicon and battle an army of the dead so he can return home from 1300 A.D.

Watching horror movies with friends is a staple in Dockter’s Halloween traditions.

“[I love] getting all my friends together. I get a ton of food. I get a ton of candy, snacks, sodas, etc. And we’ll just watch seven to eight horror movies across the span of the night,” he said.

What led to his passion for Halloween? Dockter fell in love with the scary atmosphere in every aspect of the holiday from an early age.

“When I was really young, [it was] my first trick-or-treating experience. I went to my grandma’s house and was just wearing the costume, going around getting immersed in the spooky, scary atmosphere, and then obviously getting food out of it. Getting candy chocolates, all that good stuff,” Dockter said.

Sophomore Zach Rodgers also believes the best way to travel during Halloween is with a group of friends.

“It is safer and more fun,” he said.

With the holiday quickly approaching, there’s also plenty of Halloween thrills and events to scare your socks right off. A few local activities are the Nile Nightmares Haunted House, Horror Unexpected, Trick or Treat 5k and Jaws On The Water. Nile Nightmares Haunted House is at 6601 244th St. SW, Mountlake Terrace, where you can go through and have some spooky fun.

Horror Unexpected is an improv comedy horror put on by Unexpected Productions, and is at Unexpected Productions’ Market Theater 1428 Post Alley in Seattle. This event continues from Oct. 9 to Oct. 30.

The Trick or Treat 5k takes place at 7201 East Green Lake Dr N, Seattle, on Oct. 30 and is organized by Run 2 Be Fit.

Jaws On The Water is at Green Lake, and takes place at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22. 

“What better way to watch ‘Jaws’ than on the water with a jumbotron and top quality sound systems?” host Nick Tello said in the online promotional flier.