Occupy Wall Street has been in 67 cities in 33 states. Although many protestors don’t know what they want, it is clear that they blame Wall Street greed for the United States’ financial issues and they are angry about economic inequality.
Although they have been occupying and getting more attention than thought imaginable a cohesive message has been absent.
After the banking collapse in 2008 and the ensuing bailouts, protestors seem to be waiting for their bailouts after being manipulated and frustrated with the financial corruption in our government.
As many people sleep out in the streets after losing their homes during the housing mania, they show their distrust and anger towards those were supposed to handle their business with care and professionalism.
An argument that has been made is that the richest 1 percent should be paying more taxes then the other 99 percent. On the other hand, others believe that the 1 percent should pay the same amount not the same percentage.
Occupy Seattle has gotten very big itself. Occupiers have been camping out in Westlake Park in Downtown Seattle. Many arrests have taken place because protesters wear masks, vandalize public property, and are going against simple protesting rules. Recently protesters have moved from their downtown location to the Seattle Central Community College.
The college is willing to work with the occupiers because the people who attend and work at these community colleges are the 99% who are protesting.
SCCC President Paul Kilpatrick explained that he thinks it’s a great democratic educational experience for students but he fears that it would cost the school a lot of money. Extra security alone would cost the school $100,000.
Kilpatrick is afraid that the occupiers will attract more destructive folks rather than folks who are truly interested in the cause.
Occupy Seattle itself has been reaching a high.
As these protests around the country continue to receive widespread attention from unions, network broadcasters, and even Congress, it still lacks a singular message. Things would be much easier if it was a unified and organized movement. The movement needs specific leaders before it becomes irrelevant.
As network broadcasters try to degrade these folks, they have not gotten far by demonizing the protests. The national movement has gone much farther than camping out in parks and in the downtowns of these major cities. Despite the media’s lack of support for these folks, they have gone far from ignored.