The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

Following months of delay due to the pandemic, the 2020 Tempo yearbook is ready for distribution

Special pre-distribution for 2020 graduates this Wednesday; all others may pick up books starting 1/6/21

Originally slated for distribution during the second week of June, the 2020 Tempo yearbook has finally arrived and is ready for distribution.

2020 graduates who ordered a book will have an exclusive opportunity to pick up their books between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 30 in the parking lot of Sorelli Pizza [22402 44th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, about six blocks south of the high school], thanks to the MTHS Boosters Club who are volunteering to help with distribution.

Everyone else who ordered a book will be able to pick up the 2020 Tempo starting on Wednesday, Jan. 6 between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. following the usual protocols and procedures for school material pick-up and drop-off in the back of the school in the HUB.

“The book is absolutely beautiful with some unique features this year – besides the distinction of being the latest book ever distributed at Terrace,” adviser Vince DeMiero said. “Editor Jonathan Kwong, who graduated in June, did an incredible job making sure that he and his fellow student staff members produced a book that was consistent with the journalistic traditions we have at Terrace, but also a book that captured the reality that nearly half the school year was lost to in-person learning, activities, sports, concerts, plays, club meetings, and more.”

The 256-page Tempo has some features that are unique to this year’s book, including:

• • Special messages from state, local and district officials written to the Class of 2020 and all students who experienced the impact of the pandemic
  • • A special section devoted to the 60th anniversary of Mountlake Terrace High School
  • • A message in Braille on the back cover
  • • Special UV coating in the senior section that further highlights the senior photos
  • • An ecological theme permeates the text and production of the book, including the fact that the entire Tempo is printed on sustainable bamboo paper, bound with recyclable materials, and uses only vegetable-based inks

“Is it the book that the student editors originally planned? No. But, I think it’s an excellent example of how, as journalists, you tell the stories that matter to your audience in a way that they can best relate. In this case, I think the book just does that,” DeMiero said. “Frankly, as frustrating as it has been to have to wait this long to get the book out, I’m very proud of the work these student journalists did.”

The book was delayed due to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Schools have been closed and student journalists were without access to their newsroom starting on Friday, March 13, 2020. Additional shipping and production delays contributed to the December distribution.

Plans are underway for the 2021 Tempo yearbook. More information may be found online HERE.