• BREAKING: Coach Sood stepping down as head men's basketball coach
  • Hawks open season in their new Nest
  • OSCARS: Lily Gladstone's nomination celebrated at huge viewing party
  • Hawks WIN! Terrace 65, Garfield 54 for 4th place in 3A WIAA

The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

MTHS to follow six period schedule

Following a staff meeting, MTHS has chosen to continue following the six period schedule with 25 minutes designated to each period followed by a 15 minute advisory. Traditionally, MTHS and Lynnwood High school have followed a six period schedule in which students go through all six classes every day. The other high schools in the district, however, followed a block schedule in which students attended odd and even periods on alternating days, which they’ll continue to follow going into remote learning.

As the prospect of starting the school year remotely loomed, MTHS and LHS considered switching to the block schedule to allow more time for each class. In the schedule presented by the Edmonds School District for the 2020-2021 school year, Wednesdays are independent work days for students, so the block schedule would have meant students would attend odd periods on Mondays and Thursdays, and even on Tuesdays and Fridays.

However, the decision was made to have MTHS students attend each of their six periods every day.

“A number of teachers were talking about how this schedule would provide them with an opportunity to check in with students daily, minus the Wednesdays, helping to develop those personal relationships,” MTHS principal Greg Schellenberg explained. “The concern with the block schedule was that if a student was absent one day, the teacher would only see them at the end of the week.”

Schellenberg also explained that there will be opportunities for students to get help and connect with teachers outside of class in the time allotted for “office hours.”

“During this time, students will have an opportunity to get on a Zoom meeting with teachers and get the help they need,” he said.

School will begin on Wednesday, September 9. Though Wednesdays are usually independent learning days, this first Wednesday will be a class day. According to Schellenberg, schedules will go live on Friday, September 4, and a Zoom invite will be sent to every student’s email and be posted on Canvas for each teacher’s class the day before the first day of school. Additionally, students will have an opportunity to pick up materials in the second week of school.

“This is the sixty 1st year of mths. It has been an amazing place for decades of students and graduates, and the community here is strong,” Schellenberg said. “Our hope is that we can continue to be safe as a community and more and more in person, but in the meantime, we want to take care of our students and keep them learning. There is a lot to look forward too and be positive about.”