MTHS community shows support to students of color

To show support to students of color in the Edmonds School District community, Jennifer Widrig-Hodges and the Mountlake Terrace High School equity team are holding signs in front of MTHS every Tuesday from 4:00 to 5:30 P.M. Widrig-Hodges, an English teacher at MTHS, started these gatherings as a way to show support in the wake of the murder of George Floyd on May 25th. 

After the murder of George Floyd, we heard from students that they were struggling, feeling isolated and alone. We wanted them to know we were truly there for them in a way that they could see,” Widrig-Hodges said. “…we wanted our Black students and other students of color to know we support them and are actively working to end systemic racism.” 

She explained how important it is to aid students of color during these times and to remind them that the community has not forgotten about their struggles and efforts to achieve racial equality.

“As the continued protests against police brutality and systemic racism show, no one has forgotten the work that needs to be done. We wanted to show students we support them in these efforts,” Widrig-Hodges said. 

She also explained that, in addition to uniting to support the students of color, these acts of solidarity have also provided an opportunity to participate in socially distanced in-person gatherings. Being separated has been difficult for everyone, and the chance to see each other outside of zoom meetings has helped build a stronger community.

These events are planned to last for the rest of summer, and they may even continue to be held into the 2020-2021 school year. 

“After the first show of support, there was a lot of interest in keeping it going so we agreed to continue the whole summer,” Widrig-Hodges said. “We may continue after the year starts as well since we won’t be seeing our students in person for quite a while.” 

The equity team encourages the Edmonds School District community to join them in front of MTHS to show support for students of color every Tuesday between 4:00 to 5:30 p.m.  

“We love getting honks and waves from everyone as they drive by. Community members are welcome to join us, too,” Widrig-Hodges said. “But it’s important to remember to stay off school grounds, wear masks, and practice social distancing.”