Hot Java Cool Jazz @ the Paramount

From Terrace, to the Paramount, to New York.
Jazz Ensemble One has achieved great things this year, with plenty more to come

On April 15, the 15th annual Hot Java Cool Jazz concert hosted by Starbucks will take place at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. The Concert consists of five of the best high school bands from the Seattle area.
This year, the top bands from Garfield, Roosevelt, Newport, Edmonds-Woodway, and Mountlake Terrace high schools will be playing.
The concert has always been a great event with amazing performances from the invited bands.
Last year Terrace received a standing ovation for their performance of “Concerto For Clarinet.” with Jack Walters soloing. This year is shaping up to be a great show as well.
The more support the ensemble receives via purchased adult tickets at our local Starbucks, more money is contributed to the Terrace music department.
One hundred percent of the proceeds from adult tickets purchased at the stand alone Starbucks at Cedar plaza on 44th goes to the music department.
As an added incentive, the school that sells the most tickets will receive an added $2,000.
The theater sold out last year; tickets are available for this year’s performance now and are selling fast.
Mountlake Terrace and Roosevelt’s top jazz bands will also both be participating in the Essentially Ellington competition in New York. Fifteen bands are chosen each year to compete from all over North America. The performers are selected out of all the bands that send an audition recording to Jazz At Lincoln Center. The selected bands travel to New York and perform songs of their choice of a list provided by Jazz At Lincoln Center.
Most of the songs were composed or performed by the late legendary jazz musician Duke Ellington, with some songs that were performed by another late great jazz musician, Count Basie, as well as others.
Bands must choose three of these songs to play for their audition and their performance in New York, if they are accepted. Two of the three songs must be chosen from a list of around 10 songs provided each year, with one being a song that was on one such list in past years.
“Essentially Ellington is an amazing experience. I got to play in New York in a jam session at Lincoln Center overlooking Columbus Circle on the corner of Central Park. Not many people can say the same.” Jack Walters, Jazz Ensemble one lead saxophonist
Not only is the experience fantastic for students, but for band director Darin Faul as well, “My relationship with these students is stronger then many groups in the past that have made this trip. I have known many of the students before they were freshmen, through the Sound Art program, and through my work at the middle school. I have had the privilege to see these students grow into amazing musicians over the years.”
This will be the fifth trip to the competition that Jazz Ensemble One has made in the past 11 years. The last time Terrace went was in 2008, and in 2005 the band placed third. The band departs for the festival on May 11, a day before the festival begins.