The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

Relief on the horizon for aging district buildings

On Wednesday, November 6, representatives from the Edmonds School District came to the MTHS career center to inform community members of the upcoming Bond and Capital and Technology Levy that will be on the ballot for the February election. The presentation was attended by several teachers and lasted around forty minutes.

The representatives from the ESD were Assistant Superintendent Greg Schwab, IT Manager Chris Bailey and Equity Outreach Manager Kim Armstrong. The presenters handed out pamphlets containing current information about the district as well as info about the 2020 Bond and the next Capital and Technology Levy. 

The 2020 Bond will provide revenue that the district needs primarily for infrastructure upgrades. They include the completion of the new building for Spruce Elementary, as well as new buildings for College Place Middle School and Oak Heights and Beverly Elementaries, a new middle school on the site of the old Alderwood Middle School and a new elementary school near Lynnwood High School. The bond will also include upgrades to existing infrastructure and will also maintain the same tax rate from previous years. The bond’s approval by voters in february will therefore not result in an increase in property tax rates within the ESD’s boundaries. 

The Capital and Technology Levy will include continued support for 1:1 Chromebook devices for students and teachers as well as an expansion of the instructional technology coach program. It will also fund upgrades to classroom displays and audio systems as well as new security systems for many schools. A few infrastructure upgrades for various schools are also included in the levy. Lastly, the levy will include continued funding for back end technology such as the district’s operational systems and software license subscriptions. 

Infrastructure improvements that will come to MTHS include an upgrade to exterior surfaces and the surface, dugout and bleachers of the softball field. Additionally, the bleachers in the Terraceum and the HVAC system will be replaced.

The representatives emphasized their confidence that the 2020 Bond and Capital Technology Levy will pass despite it being the largest educational bond and levy that will be put on the ballot for Snohomish County in the February election.