Attention seeking fanatics harass those in mourning

Fred Phelps, the deranged leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, has become infamous for blaming any bad event on the evils of homosexuality.

Earthquake in Haiti? Blame the gays.

Combat troop deaths in Iraq? Ditto.

The organization has been picketing funerals for many years now and so far have not been met with any violent confrontations, but this may not be the case in Arizona. The W.B.C. has always upset the communities they visit and more importantly the funeral attendees. However they have never stepped into such a story with this much emotion and publicity.

Much of the nation is still focused on the Arizona shooting rampage that left Democratic representative Gabrielle Giffords critically wounded and a crowd of others dead or injured. Among the victims were Federal Judge John Roll and a 9-year-old girl, Christina Green. These shootings created a deep emotional wound in the psyche of America.

And naturally, the Westboro Church couldn’t resist poking it.

Immediately after the massacre, the Westboro Baptist Church released a flier stating, “your federal judge is dead and your (fag-promoting, baby-killing, proud-sinner) Congresswoman fights for her life. God is avenging Himself on this rebellious house! WBC prays for your destruction – more shooters, more dead carcasses piling up, young, old, leader and commoner – all. Your doom is upon you!”

The flier also claims that the shooting of both a house member and a federal judge is God’s punishment for judicial and congressional action against the W.B.C. Phelps also posted a video on his website saying “thank God for the violent shooter and we pray for more shooters, more violent veterans and more dead. Praise God!”

Phelps and his Westboro cult planned on picketing Christina Green’s funeral claiming, “That child was not innocent. From the womb, she was taught to hate God and mock his servants. That child is better off dead.”

However, Phelps abandoned plans in exchange for some radio airtime to spew their garbage about “Why was this young girl so deserving of God’s punishment? Her family is Catholic.”

Phelps and the rest of W.B.C. have pained me with their ranting rhetoric, and unapologetic hate, and at the base of it all, their hunger for confrontation and attention has left me with nothing but disdain.

I can’t understand what these people are thinking, what motivates them, or what good they believe can possibly come from inflicting such vicious pain on grieving souls.

These are the dregs of our species.

They are beneath contempt.

They have exactly zero redeeming qualities and when they finally age and die, the world will be a better place without them.