The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

Brier Terrace Middle School placed under lockdown

On October 7 at around 1:45 p.m., the Edmonds School District announced that Brier Terrace Middle School was under a lockdown. 

According to a letter from Assistant Superintendent Greg Shwab and BTMS principal Scott Morrison, the lockdown came after a student reported that another student had made shooting threats against the school. In compliance with the report, school officials immediately put the school in lockdown and contacted the local police department. 

Upon investigation, police found that the suspect in question was not at school on the day of the lockdown. Police are in contact with the suspected student. 

The lockdown was lifted by 2:20 p.m. after school officials deemed it safe for students to be released at the regularly scheduled time of 2:30 p.m.

“School safety is a top priority. We commend and thank our students and staff for staying calm and behaving well during the lockdown. We understand that an incident such as this can be unsettling for all involved so we want you to know that counselling support is available,” a letter posted on the ESD website said. 

Anyone with any information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact principal Scott Morrison at [email protected].