“Curtains” closes, “Godspell” and “Quilters” return to MTHS

The MTHS drama department has closed the curtains on “Curtains” and is instead replacing it with two different fall musicals.

Vocal and dance auditions for the fall musical were from Monday, September 16 to Wednesday, September 18. However, the original musical that was auditioned for, “Curtains,” will no longer be the 2019 fall musical. Instead, MTHS will be performing two separate musicals, “Godspell” and “Quilters.” In fact, these two musicals have returned from 2008 and 2011, respectively, when the drama department last performed them.

Drama teacher Jeanie Brzovic, the director, is sad to see curtains close on the beloved musical. However, because the majority of the drama department’s boys had graduated in the 2018-2019 school year, there were problems with getting more boys to audition for the 2019-2020 school year. The lack of experienced male actors presented the main challenge of producing the musical this year.

According to Brzovic, “Godspell” is a great option for an open, no cut musical with male parts that can really show off and work on the male leads’ talents. However, this presented the problem of how the girls would get to work or show off their talents as well in a musical during this school year. Introducing “Quilters,” which is meant to allow Terrace’s actresses to display their skills. 

“Quilters” is a director’s choice show, with nine actresses playing many different roles in different stories that are linked together in one production. 

“’Quilters’ is a great show for young female performers to work on,” Brzovic said.“It’s really good for honing talents with its different storylines.” 

From the 2008 “Godspell” production, student actress Rebecca Dumanis was awarded “Outstanding Actress in a Supporting Role” from the Fifth Avenue Awards. The 2011 “Quilters” production was also recognized by the Fifth Avenue for Outstanding Music Direction and Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast.

The show “Quilters” follows different stories drawn from the writings of pioneer women. It takes inspiration from many databases of writing to create each story within the musical. 

“Godspell” is a musical that invokes many religious thoughts and follows the story of Jesus’ last few days alive. The production focuses on the community he creates and then leaves behind.

“It’s not about the religion, more so, the community” Drama Club President Peja Shymko said. 

“Quilters” will be showing for a weekend in November, while “Godspell” will be showing for a weekend in January.