• BREAKING: Coach Sood stepping down as head men's basketball coach
  • Hawks open season in their new Nest
  • OSCARS: Lily Gladstone's nomination celebrated at huge viewing party
  • Hawks WIN! Terrace 65, Garfield 54 for 4th place in 3A WIAA

The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

New year, new expression

With each new school year comes a predictable cycle, at least for those of us who are returning to the now familiar high school routine. For at least a quarter of MTHS students, though, the new school year marks a time of seemingly immense change. The move into high school can seem intimidating and exhilarating, as though you are on the cusp of adulthood.

For returning Terrace students, however, the novelty of high school often has worn off as we prepare yet again to face the schedule that has dominated our lives for the past year or more.

However, high school and the return to it need not feel intimidating nor monotonous. When we adopt the right mindset, any transition can begin to feel like the start of new and exciting opportunities filled with untapped potential. Rather than focus on the frightening or tedious aspects of moving forward in life, pay special attention to the ways in which the new year lends itself to personal growth.

Whatever your attitude is toward the coming year, the Hawkeye is ready to bring quality student journalism to you and the entire Mountlake Terrace community. The school year that lies ahead of us looks to be an eventful one, with a host of changes in staffing, scheduling and procedures. Whether you’re a Terrace veteran or just setting out on your first flight, the Hawkeye stands ready to guide you through all the news that a school year inevitably generates.

However, we can’t complete this endeavor alone. A newspaper exists only to serve its community and give them the information they need to be well-informed, engaged citizens. Without the representation of student voices, we lose our purpose as our area’s designated open public forum for student expression. So please, take the time to engage with the Hawkeye. You’ll find the Hawkeye is much more relevant and captivating for both readers and staff members when the community fully takes advantage of the paper’s position as the vehicle of our community’s free speech. 

So submit a letter to the editor, draw a graphic, tell us when we get something wrong or even join our staff yourself. When students are unafraid to exercise their First Amendment rights,  we can foster an environment in which all students can gain the mindsets necessary for the perpetuation of a democratic society.