MTHS PTSA organizes Hawks to Hawks Book Drive

The MTHS Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) is currently running a book drive to donate to students of Mountlake Terrace Elementary (MTE). Through operating the Hawks to Hawks Book Drive, the PTSA hopes to collect 470 new and gently used books so each MTE student will have a book to read over winter break.

Books can be donated through Monday, Dec. 3 to Fines Manager Sandy Merten in the Fines Office. The PTSA also suggests that, to make the donation of the book more meaningful to the student who receives it, an encouraging note be written on a notecard for the student and inserted into the book.

The books to be donated have been broken down by the PTSA, with 30 books intended to go to preschool children, 42 to kindergarteners, 60 to first-graders, 51 to second-graders, 70 to third-graders. 51 to fourth-graders, 76 to fifth-graders and 59 to sixth-graders.

Additionally, the PTSA encourages the donation of books that are involved in the elementary school level Battle of the Books competition. These include books such as “Born a Crime” by Trevor Noah and “Salt to the Sea” by Ruta Sepetys.

The PTSA will hold a meeting in the MTHS library on Dec. 3 from 5 to 7 p.m. to make bookmarks and wrap up the books to be delivered to the MTE students.  

This is the first year that the MTHS PTSA is hosting a book drive for MTE students.

“We wanted to promote the big hawks supporting the little hawks at Mountlake Terrace Elementary,” Merten said. “We thought a book drive would be a good way to do that so that the [MTE students] can have books to read over winter break.”