MLTBA to donate school supplies for elementary students

By Nolan DeGarlais, News Editor

The Mountlake Terrace Business Association (MLTBA) will conduct its annual Backpacks for Future Hawks donation drive on Wednesday, Aug. 22. This year, the MLTBA hopes to provide 400 backpacks full of school supplies to financially struggling families in Mountlake Terrace with children who will attend elementary school in the upcoming school year. Last year, the MLTBA exceeded its goal of providing 200 backpacks full of supplies and delivered 225 supply filled backpacks to  students in need across Mountlake Terrace.

“Each backpack will be filled with all the basic items needed to help them have a successful school year,” the MLTBA said in a statement. “Education is the best way to ensure that we are raising children that can compete in today’s world.”

Donations for the event will be collected at several location around Mountlake Terrace including Sound Community Bank, Cascade Elite Gymnastics, Expresso Break and the Mountlake Terrace Senior Center until the day of the donation drive.

Along with cash donations, the MLTBA is also seeking donations of color crayons, glue sticks, scissors, hand-held pencil sharpeners, #2 pencils, colored pencils, wide ruled notebook paper, wide ruled spiral and composition notebooks, rulers, erasers, Elmer’s school glue, pencil cases and folders. The backpacks themselves are provided directly by the MLTBA. According to the MLTBA, it takes approximately $40 to fill each backpack with supplies.

About the Writer
Nolan DeGarlais, News Editor
Nolan DeGarlais is in his sophomore year and it is his second year as a member of the Hawkeye. His current position is News Editor, which primarily involves the writing and editing of news stories for the Hawkeye. This year, Nolan hopes to write several stories for the Hawkeye and cover many different school events and developments that have the potential to impact the school. In his free time, Nolan enjoys reading and going hiking.