MTHS artists bring home art awards

Sophomore Clare Kaiyala, senior Flynn Thomas and senior Ryan Coffman were recognized for their entries in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. The contest is for middle school and high school students who wish to show their creativity in visual and literary arts. Before moving onto the national level, participants must win a regional award, called a key.

The Scholastic Awards recognize student achievement in 29 categories including editorial cartoon, poetry, graphic design, fashion, science fiction, video game design and more. Founded in 1923, the Awards have fostered the creativity and talent of millions of students. A Scholastic Award signifies to parents, teachers, colleges and the community, that a student is an accomplished artist or writer. The winners of this competition are formally called the “National Scholastic Medalists from Snohomish County.”

Kaiyala competed in the sculpting category with a bronze casting for her piece, “The Forest,” which won a gold medal on the national level. She was named an American Vision Nominees/Best of Show Recipient. To Kaiyala, the award is “an honor, really.”

“I didn’t expect to win anything. I was kind of surprised. It’s a really cool thing and I’m really honored to receive it,” she said.

Kaiyala was entered by her art teacher Mark Walker and did not expect any kind of recognition.

“It was a pleasant surprise to be be told I won something in a prestigious competition,” she said.

Kaiyala plans to continue competing in similar competitions throughout her high school career.

Senior Flynn Thomas competed in the editorial cartoon category and won a regional and national gold medal for “Bird and Boulder.” He also earned regional gold medals for “Miniboss” and “Mother Deer,” both entered in the editorial cartoon category. Senior Ryan Coffman was also recognized and was awarded a silver regional award for his sculpture, “Untitled.”

The MTHS arts was proud to present the artistic abilities of all its members, with two students earning recognition on the national level and one with two years left to go at Terrace, the future looks very promising.