• Chapters
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2

Dear President Donald Trump Project

March 24, 2017

President Donald Trump has been making what seems like every headline in the news these days. It’s not necessarily because he’s a bad leader, but more due to his differences from former President Barack Obama.

There are a lot of feelings in our country, community and around the world right now.

So here’s a question: If you could speak to President Donald Trump right now, what would you say?

This is the concept of the “Dear President Donald Trump” project. Whether you write a letter, draw a political cartoon or write a song reflective of your feelings toward Trump fitting under the theme, send it to us at [email protected] For potentially the next four years, Hawkeye will keep a space open to publish your work, in the paper or online at thehawkeye.org. When you send in your submission, you will also be asked to fill out a form regarding work credit. So get your writing, compositions and art in, whether you’re a student or simply a community member ready for your voice to be heard. Η

Note: The Hawkeye reserves the right to edit for grammar, spelling and profanity.

Letter from staff

March 2, 2017.

Dear President Donald Trump,

My name is Marianne Nacanaynay. I’m a sophomore at Mountlake Terrace High School in Mountlake Terrace, Wash. and the Op/Ed Editor for my school’s publication, the Hawkeye.

Last month I interviewed Jeremy, a 25-year-old, queer, black North Carolinian on you and your involvement with LGBTQ rights. The question I remember most clearly asking him, unscripted, was, “are you scared?”

“I’m terrified,” he responded.

The word resonates, not just because of his quavering voice, or because of the word itself, but because it’s far from the first time I’ve heard it since your term began. I’ve used it myself, because it was the first word that came to mind on November 8.

I don’t know how what you will do will affect me. I’m not entirely sure what the future holds regarding your administration and in the next four years I will be getting my first job, entering college, buying my first car and stopping by a number of more milestones. To not know the security of those basic plans scares me.

When I think of your presidency, I flash back to a rally you held in Everett, Wash. during your campaign.

I sat in the far, back left corner of the media pit, next to a wonderful reporter from the Mukilteo Beacon and feet away from journalists coming from publications and organizations I’ve admired for years. I sat with my legs crossed, ready to take notes and photos, when you pointed in my general direction and what seemed like the majority of the audience booed.

It was only for a few seconds, maybe. But it came like a sweeping axe to the heart.

One of my major aspirations in life is to become a journalist, and to see the people working a job I love get discredited in an offhanded comment or in a tweet is more than discouraging.

Because, then, what am I and what will I be?

What am I to the people I write for?

Journalism is not “fake news.” If it is, it isn’t journalism. I wholeheartedly believe with an admittedly optimistic mindset that real journalism is focused on the truth and how the truth affects people and their stories.

Regardless of whether you say it is the truth or not, I will continue to publish and print every fact with the intent of holding you accountable for your actions. I may be a student journalist without a financial motivation for what I do, but I’m still responsible for and going to push for the truth.

And the truth is, there’s not a lot you can do to stop myself and others.

Journalism won’t die. Journalism is imperative to the success of society. Journalism is teaching and informing so we have a record of what we did and what we can learn from in the future.

President Trump, I hope you know the world is watching you. I hope you know you’ll be written in all the history books future generations will be studying because you’re already a consequential president. Whether what is said about you is good or bad is up to you and your actions – and whoever writes history.

The world is watching you. I’m watching to see what you’ll do, because you still haven’t quite quelled my fears or the fears of others. Everything you do will be taken note of and it will be reported on, because not only am I on a conquest for truth but so are the American people.

Please don’t mess up.

Sincerely,

Marianne Nacanaynay

Regarding the Potus

This election season has certainly been… something. I should make it clear, I’m not happy with who is in office. I tried to be open minded when he was first elected, through my disappointment. However, as soon as he started announcing cabinet picks, I was done.

Not only are they under-qualified, there is no effort to try and find bi-partisan unity. These positions are not something to be handed out like lollipops to good little boys and girls. They should be given to the people who are the most qualified, and won’t have blatant conflicts of interest.

Next opinion: I’m someone who really values the Constitution. I donate and am a member of the ACLU, and I’ve always been very, very outspoken when I think something is unconstitutional. That’s is why I am not at all pleased with the Trump administration. He and his agency have already said and done so many things in violation to our civil liberties that it makes me sick.

A ban on immigration from predominantly Muslim countries (except the ones that he has business interests in, of course)? It should be obvious that that goes against the 1st Amendment. When he says that he’ll favour Christian refugees and immigrants? That is blatantly the Establishment clause. When he wants to silence the press from criticizing him, first of all, how petty, and secondly, what?! Freedom of the press! He would also like to violate our privacy, with Muslim surveillance (1st and 5th). His views on immigration violate 1st, 4th, and 5th.

Okay, enough about Trump. I’m making myself sick.

Let’s talk about something else. I’m thinking minority rights and abortion.

I legitimately do not get why we cannot treat others decently and respectfully. It is silly that people discriminate people on who they choose to love, on what the color of their skin is, where they come from, what gender they are, or their religion. It’s not hard to not demonize someone with vast generalizations. This is going to get a little odd, and it’s where I stray from other liberal views, but hear me out.

Most people are genuinely nice and decent folk, trying to eek out a happy living. It doesn’t matter if they’re black, white, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, Jewish, Muslim, or Christian, or any of the other multitudes of classifications there are. There are always going to be people on the other extreme, really bad people. But you can’t make broad sweeping generalizations on either side.

For example, cops. Majority are kind, hardworking people that work and give their lives to keep us safe. People of color. Lovely, ordinary people.

(I do support BLM. I think that they have the right ideas, but I do not agree with many of their tactics.)

Many POC rights groups have stereotyped cops in a way that is very harmful. Is police brutality wrong? Yes. Is racial profiling wrong? No doubt about it. Do police officers that do these things need to be held to the full extent of the law, and do the families affected deserve justice? Of course they do. But, should all cops be assumed to be terrible, bigoted people? NO.

Same thing here: Is terrorism bad? Yes, I’m against extremism of all kinds. Are some of these terrorists Muslim? Yes. Should one assume, thusly, that all Muslims are terrorists? NO. No sane person should.

Moral of the story, judge everyone on an individual basis. Everyone deserves your respect until proven otherwise.

Next up, abortion.

I am strongly pro-choice, and I think that that can be summed up for me in only a few sentences. I’ll start with an analogy. If you put a seed in the ground, then take it out, have you killed a tree? No, I don’t think so. Some may disagree. Anyway, does banning or restriction stop abortions? The answer to that is no. Women will still get abortions. The only difference is that this time, they won’t be in a licensed medical center. They’ll be at tremendous risk, and a procedure that is ordinarily very safe will now be very hazardous.

Alright, that’s probably enough. I, in all likelihood, sound like a crazy person. Thanks for reading to here.

Cheers,

Amy H.