Superintendent, ESD staff and local community members tour MTHS, various departments within

By Stephi Smith, Executive Editor

• Superintendent Kris McDuffy.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

• McDuffy listens in on a discussion between students in an honors humanities class.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

• Dan Lafferty brings McDuffy up to speed on a presentation performed in his class.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

• Junior Mark Takatsuka speaks with representatives from the Edmonds School District office.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

• McDuffy speaking with Adam Welman after observing his 9th grade honors biography class.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

• Superintendent Kris McDuffy watching intently as a freshmen sets dyes for gel electrophoresis.

© HAWKEYE Jacob Allard

Edmonds School District (ESD) Superintendent Kris McDuffy took a tour of MTHS, along with other ESD staff and local community members earlier today.
The tour began at 10 a.m. and continued until about halfway through 4th period. There were two representatives from each major department at MTHS, including STEM, Advanced Placement classes and the performing arts.
McDuffy and other staff and community members will conduct four tours each school year, visiting one high school, middle school and elementary school from each quadrant.
The purpose is to have school district leaders, local public officials and even some families of ESD students in the schools around the district for a closer look, McDuffy said.
She also said she wanted those who toured to gain an appreciation for the “great work” done around ESD in the various schools.
At MTHS, there were 35 participants of the tour, about 25 from ESD and the rest from around the greater Mountlake Terrace area.
McDuffy was thrilled to hear from MTHS students and said many of them were “articulate, professional and seemed so proud of their school.” She said she saw a lot of great feedback from each part of the building she was in.
Senior Joshua Leben was the student chosen by MTHS administrators to represent the music department, mainly choir.
McDuffy was led into the theater, where Leben, drama department director Jeannie Brzovic and another student representative for the drama department explained to her about the different ways MTHS has helped them grow as performers.
“[MTHS is] positioning us to do well out there,” Leben said, referring to life post-high school.
The next ESD-conducted tour will be in May, of the northeast quadrant. McDuffy said it will most likely consist of Lynnwood High School, Alderwood Middle School and another elementary school that has not been decided on yet.

This story will be updated tomorrow, March 10, with pictures of the tour.