Stabbing at Alderwood Mall, second in past month

By Kennedy Cooper, Hawkeye Staff

UPDATE: Jan. 17, 3:15 p.m.

Philip Herrera was charged on Sunday with one count each of first- and second-degree assault with a weapon in the stabbing that afternoon in the food court at Alderwood Mall, according to Snohomish County.


A suspect is in custody and a victim is at Harborview Medical Center following a stabbing this afternoon in the food court at Alderwood Mall – the second such incident at the mall in the past month.

A 37-year-old local man had an argument with an Alderwood Mall employee, which led to the suspect stabbing the employee several times.

According to the Lynnwood Police Department, the victim was rushed to Harborview Medical center with injuries that were not life-threatening while the suspect was taken into custody. The condition of the victim at Harborview has not been released yet.

Two Hawkeye staff members were in the food court area of the mall at the time of the incident. Follow this link to video captured just moments after the stabbing took place. In the video, the victim can be seen face down in the foreground to the right receiving aid, while the suspect is being handcuffed in the distance near the main exit/entrance to the food court.


Twitter user @ryannishi44, Ryan Nishi, posted that he and his mother were eating in the food court when they noticed a fight broke out between the suspect and the mall employee. After the man stabbed the employee, Nishi said his mother yelled out that the suspect had a knife. Nishi said that’s when they and others began running.

A male bystander in his mid-30s also intervened during the assault to assist the victim and received a non-life threatening cut. Two others were hurt while running from the scene; one twisted an ankle while another injured their knee according to KING 5 News.

The Lynnwood PD is conducting an ongoing investigation.
This is the second stabbing at Alderwood Mall in less than a month. The previous one occurred on Christmas Eve. A fight that night broke  out between two teens and a man who tried to intervene was stabbed.