Out with the old, in with the new

As this year comes to a close and we say goodbye to the school year, the students of MTHS are not only welcoming summer but an all new Big 6 as well. This year’s executive members are more unique than any in recent history as we transition from seniors to all new members of upcoming juniors and only one senior.

Some may argue there is a lack of experience in the group as half of us only have one year involved as members in Associated Student Body (ASB). To that I would have to say, yes, experience is a big part in making the year successful. However, something matters even more than that — passion.

As I looked to my five peers around me during meetings, I can see the eagerness and enthusiasm we all have to make a difference in our school and truly make high school a memorable experience for the students. We all got together about a month and a half ago and talked about our goals for next year and what changes we wanted to see.

Our first goal was giving back, whether it be to our own students, teachers or overall community, giving back to those who give to us is incredibly important. We want ASB to be so much more than just dances and assemblies.

For our community, our goals are to do more drives such as, clothing drives, food drives and toy drives that could all help out people in need. Pairing up with Key Club, MTHS’s community service club, would be a way to increase efficiency for this.

Teachers, who are a huge part and influence in students’ lives, deserve so much more than just one week for their appreciation.

Finally students, while ASB could do random acts of kindness, where we simply give back and don’t ask for anything in return. Our second goal was unity. It has been an immense struggle for ASB in the past as uniting a school that is so diverse is difficult.

The big question that is always over our heads is “how can we increase school spirit therefore, unifying the school?” Spirit weeks and assemblies only go so far, this leads us to the answer of inclusion.

At MTHS, we have amazing programs such as music, STEM, drama and more that should all be on the same playing field as the more publicized sports program. As ASB members, it’s our duty to include and recognize all these groups, thus promoting equality and unity.

Overall, your newly elected Big 6 has great plans for the next year and we cannot wait to start.

Note: The Hawkeye provides the MTHS Associated Student Body space each issue in the Op/Ed section as part of our mission as a designated open public forum.