A day to celebrate, commemorate and remember

In honor of the U.S. veterans, the Veterans Day assembly was held Nov. 10 after second period in the main gym.

The MC, MTHS former staff member Dave Dolacky hosted the assembly. Dolacky was also a Vietnam war veteran, but he said, during the assembly, he’s proud to be a hawk.

Dolacky began the assembly speaking about his experience as veteran. He reflected on his years past during the Vietnam war.

“Today I come to you as a veteran,” Dolacky said. “A proud veteran.”

He also stressed the importance of Veterans Day, Nov. 11, saying it’s not just a day to sleep in and for stores to have various sales, but a day to remember those lost in battle.

He also invited his audience to “find a goal and have a passion, no matter what it may be.” He continued, telling the gym that bettering themselves is the most important thing.

Dolacky then focused his attention on the students in the audience, reminding them to get involved with their school and, if they are able to, to vote in the upcoming election. He admonished adults that ignore the voting process, saying they can’t complain at the decisions later made.

Dolacky turned his attention to the veterans in the audience. He had each person that volunteered stand and tell the audience why they were were, most honoring their families and friends that served in various wars and branches of the military. Among the speakers were MTHS staff, alumni and other friends and family.

Junior Zach Haroian and senior Austin Pence presented the flag folding ceremony, a ritual that involves folding the U.S. flag, narrating the reasons behind each fold. When the ceremony ended, the folded flag was presented to previous MTHS staff Jim Pecotte, who received a standing ovation after he pumped his fist into the air.

There was also a Remembrance Table ceremony, presented by seniors Austin Pence, Cody Bowman and Irvin Zhang.

The ceremony involved a round table, to honor the “never-ending battle” that war veterans must face everyday, a white tablecloth, to honor the purity they hold in their hearts and a single red rose, to honor the families of those lost.

“Let us all remember and never forget the sacrifices they made,” Zhang said, finishing the ceremony.

The assembly ended with the MTHS Band playing the U.S. Armed Forces salute, while Dolacky read off the various branches of the U.S. military. While he recited the different branches, he asked students, staff and guests to stand when the name of a branch was called that they either knew someone who served in that particular branch or they, themselves, had previously served.