The 2014-2015 school year in perspective

First of all, I would like to thank the Hawkeye for giving me a spot in their award winning newspaper each edition. I like to think I am in the journalistic company of names like DeMiero, Jude, Khadivi, Fiorillo, Karnoski and Nguyen, then I spell something wrong and come crashing back to earth and remember I’m still really just a dumb jock.

Okay, sorry, got off on a different tangent. Or did I? When each of you think back on the 2014 – 2015 school year, what comes to mind? I’ll bet there is something you forgot. How many people did you make sure you took the time to thank? Thinking back over 40 years ago to the end of my high school career, I’m sure I never did a proper job of thanking those that helped me along the way. When I was growing up, there was no “Baby on Board” generation. Adults told you the truth and it wasn’t always pretty. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Heathcutt, said my cursive was the worst she had seen in 30 years of teaching (this was 1962). She told me to start writing with my left hand. I was devastated and was made fun of beyond belief. However, I started to eat, brush my teeth and drink with my left hand. By the time I got to high school, I could handle a basketball with both hands.

My senior year, it hit me. If Mrs. Heathcutt hadn’t made me start writing with my left hand, I wouldn’t be getting recruited by hundreds of colleges right then. I thought, “I need to go up to Whittier Elementary School and thank her.” Well, I was about 6 years too late. She had already moved onto that great big school house in the sky. I was really sad that I couldn’t tell her my cursive still stunk but my hoops career was thriving.

There are a lot of good people here at Terrace doing a lot of really good things for a lot of people. You underclassmen have little time that seniors do not, but time you have. Time to just stop in or leave a little card in their box, or, I can’t believe I’m saying this, e-mail them and tell them thanks. It goes a lot farther than you think.

I still have every card, gift, and token of thanks I have ever gotten from a student, athlete or parent in my 34 years in education. Go ahead, make somebody’s day, TELL THEM THANKS. Good luck class of 2015 and THANK YOU for a year full of great memories.