A sound start to Terrace Idol

©HAWKEYE image credit: Serafina Urrutia
Maddy Caiola shows emotion while singing “I’m Not the Only One.”

Talented singers from around the district came to perform at the first round of Terrace Idol this past Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the MTHS theater. Out of the 19 singers at the competition, ten made the judges’ cut.

The three judges present were Ashley Biermann, a Seattle based musician, Tyler Barth, currently in real estate but with an extensive piano background, and Emily Brotherton, a longtime singer who leads music groups around the Northwest.

Each contestant was to sing a song of their choice the ten best were then chosen.

The contestants who made it to round two are Alisha Clingan, Angel Garcia, and Maddy Caiola from MTHS, Mckenna Sessions, Cortnee Markowski, Auryana Ashoori, and Makeala Eddings from LHS, and Rachel Larson, Aliya Marulita and Rodney Ocfemia from EWHS.

Vocal talent of different kinds were on display, everything from soft and relaxed performances to flashy and upbeat ones.

The show kicked off with Alisha Clingan’s performance of “Beyond the Sea” while accompanied by her mother playing piano. She even danced with senior Robin Choi, a stagehand, partway through her performance.

Angel Garcia was the next to get through, performing “All of Me” by John Legend. She was a definite audience favorite, and had many fans.

Mckenna Sessions sang “If I Ain’t Got You” and did a swell job, but the judges remarked making the song more of her own could have been better.

Rachel Larson from EWHS had a very relaxed performance with playing piano while singing “Beautiful Disaster.”

Aliya Marulita sang a song with serious attitude, called “Bust Your Windows” which garnered laughs from the crowd over its crude references.

Cortnee Markowski was accompanied by Bonfire Dan (an acoustic piano player). She had a timid demeanor, but very unique vocals with the performance of “Run.”

Maddy Caiola was by far one of the favorites from the audience, singing “I’m Not the Only One” while really using the stage to enhance the performance. But it wasn’t just that, she had a great voice to go along with it.

The best received of the night and the most liked by the judges, was Makeala Eddings, who sang “Colorblind” by Counting Crows. She had a very strong voice that the judges admired and gave her high praise for.

Auryana Ashoori was perhaps the most unique of the night, using an acoustic guitar as her only accompaniment, she sang (and rapped) “Telegraph Ave” by Childish Gambino. She mixed in “Say my Name” by Destiny’s Child and ended it with “Sober” also by Childish Gambino. Ashoori was liked by the judges, with one remarking that she’s the person everyone wants to have around.

The last contestant to make it was Rodney Ocfemia, singing “Thinking Out Loud.” He was joined by his friend playing a box drum while he played a guitar and sang. His voice was called soft and smooth by the judges.

There were many other contestants with great performances that didn’t get in, from freshman Sophie Parsons who performed her own original song, to junior Ashley Lee with piano accompaniment from junior Bryan Garcia.

Despite a few technical slip ups, the show provided nearly three hours of musical entertainment.

The second round of Terrace Idol is on Thursday, Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5.