• MBB: The Hawks to host Sehome once things thaw, that is

Police arrest student in connection to December bomb threats

Back to Article
Back to Article

A total of six police officers responded after two bomb threats were called in to MTHS on Dec. 4.

© HAWKEYE Jack Fiorillo

© HAWKEYE Jack Fiorillo

© HAWKEYE Jack Fiorillo

Updated 1/15/15, 8:20 p.m.

An MTHS student was arrested earlier today in connection to bomb threats phoned in to the attendance office on Dec. 4, according to Principal Greg Schwab.

Mountlake Terrace Police Department (MLTPD) detectives arrested the student, who is a minor, in the main office, Schwab confirmed. Schwab also indicated that the bomb threats are considered class B felonies in Washington and that charges are almost certain to be filed.

Police and school officials are not releasing the student’s name.

The student was released to his parents following his arrest, Schwab said.

On Dec. 4, two phone calls were made to MTHS at 1:26 p.m. The caller said the school was going to blow up in six minutes, forcing an evacuation of the building as well as a police response, according to assistant principal Peter Schurke. Police did not find any suspicious devices when searching the building, Deputy Chief of Police Pete Caw told the Hawkeye.

Schwab said the calls were made using a blocked number. But after the MLTPD obtained a warrant for the caller’s number, detectives were able to trace the number back to the student’s cell phone, Schwab said.

Edmonds School District spokesperson DJ Jakala said this afternoon the district would be releasing a statement to families tomorrow and said that the message will include a reminder about the Safe Schools Tip Line. Jakala stressed the importance for people to “step up” and call the line if they have information regarding threats to school safety.

The Hawkeye will continue to bring you updates as they are made available. Follow @MTHSHawkeye for the breaking news.

Editor’s Note: Information about the Edmonds School District’s Safe Schools Tip Line can be found here. The phone number is (425) 431-7010

About the Writers
Nick Fiorillo, Editor-in-Chief

Nick Fiorillo is the Editor-in-Chief of the Hawkeye and thehawkeye.org. This is Nick's second year of serving as editor. Last year, he led the Hawkeye in one of the organization's most dramatic transformations in decades, replacing the broadsheet newspaper with a feature based newsmagazine and an emphasis on online content.
Prior to serving as editor-in-chief, Nick was the local news editor during his sophomore year and was a staff reporter during his freshman year.
Nick was named as the 2014 Free Spirit Scholar from Washington state, and traveled to Washington, D.C. as the Washington state delegate to the 2014 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference. He has received several state and national awards for journalism, including several JEA National Write-off Competition Awards. He was recently awarded the rating of "Superior" for Editorial Writing at the Spring 2014 JEA/NSPA High School Journalism Conference in San Diego, Calif.
His interests include journalism, politics, public...

Stephi Smith, Executive Editor

Stephi Smith is one of the co-Editors-in-Chief of the Hawkeye. Her official title is Executive Editor.

This is Stephi’s fourth year on the Hawkeye. Last year, she created a Hawkeye Snapchat account with the hopes of advancing the organization’s coverage of online and social media reporting.

Prior to serving as Editor, she was the News Editor her junior year and Copy Editor her sophomore year, as well as taking the lead on the Crime and Police beat. During her sophomore year, she attended the JEA National Convention in Washington, D.C. where she learned she wanted to be a journalist. Since then, she’s fallen in love with reporting and reported on many different kinds of stories, from School Board meetings to sexual assault on campus.

Next year, Stephi will be attending the University of Missouri with a major in Journalism. As a career, she hopes to report on either crime, government and politics or education.

1 Comment

One Response to “Police arrest student in connection to December bomb threats”

1. Lynnwood Today | Happening nearby: Mountlake Terrace police arrest student in connection with December bomb threats - Lynnwood Today on January 15th, 2015 7:43 pm

[…] A Mountlake Terrace High School student was arrested Thursday in connection to bomb threats phoned in to the attendance office last month, according to MTHS Principal Greg Schwab, according to our online news partner the Hawkeye, the MTHS student newspaper. […]

• Police arrest student in connection to December bomb threats

News

School district responds to “snowpocalypse” concerns

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: Hawks Basketball lose senior night to Cedarcrest, 33-53

A&E

Deadly plant overtakes the “Little Shop of Horrors”

Choir

Choir and orchestra unite at winter concert

Sports

Hawks fall to Marysville-Pilchuck 53-45, fall to 8-2 overall