Year’s last production wins big with audience

After months of preparation and hard work put in by each cast member, the director, technicians, and set builders, the last performance of the year, “Noises Off” went off as a big hit.

The ‘play within a play’ was pulled off in just the nick of time in order to perform it May 29-31 in the MTHS theater.

The story line of, Noises Off, can be some-what confusing if you don’t know that the three act play, is actually a portrayal of what happens behind the scenes of a play.

Junior Larkyn Pope acting the character of Belinda, who plays Flavia, states, “I wouldn’t have expected it to go this well last week. It all got pulled together very last minute. I worked out very well.”

The first act starts out as the dress-rehearsal the night before the cast’s opening night. At 10 p.m. the director is still yelling at the actors for silly things like coming in at their cue.

While some of the actors are wrapped up in their own world, others are still forgetting props and asking for lines. Sets are still dysfunctional the night before, and the director is losing his voice screaming about it.

The second act is opening night, minutes before the performance is scheduled to begin. We see what happens backstage throughout the entire performance. The actors had to have, “The ability to convey emotions without any words,” senior, Calvin Martin acting as Lloyd (The director), said.

The performance, over exaggerated of course, was hilarious to the audience, and really opened our eyes to what the actors go through to pull together the show at the last minute.

The third act is how the audience would’ve seen opening night.  Lines forgotten, props left behind, and stage managers filling in for missing actors is what the audience saw on opening night. A hectic performance that was designed to show how the actors might feel on opening night, but according to the actual MTHS actors, “It was a good closing night, for a good closing show,” Martin said

As the last play of the year comes to a closing point, the MTHS audience members look forward to next year’s lineup of performances from the drama department.

“NOISES OFF” Cast

Mrs. Clackett/Dotty…………………Mikayla French

Roger/Garry……………………………Kyle Henderson

Vicki/Brooke…………………………..Amanda Petrowski

Philip/Freddy………………………….Mark Nguyen

Flavia/Belinda…………………………Larkyn Pope

Burglar/Selsdon……………………..Myles Stillwaugh

Tim………………………………………….Matt Sythandone

Poppy………………………………………Emily Davidson

Lloyd ………………………………………Calvin Martin

Understudies………………………….Danielle Hirano, Bryan Wilson