Meadows’ masterpieces

Meadows+masterpieces

Whether it be drawing in class, painting her favorite actors, or exploring the world of special effects makeup, freshman Megan Meadows surpasses expectations with her artistic expertise.

A two-time winner of the Scholastic Art Contest, Meadows has been recognized statewide for her imaginative talent, but her creative journey in the field of visual arts has only just begun.

Meadows’ interest in art took flight in second grade, when her friend introduced her to a Japanese comic, called a manga.

She was inspired to start drawing anime soon after, and credits this experience as the start of her artistic career.

Although she had taken a few classes before, Meadows describes her skills as self-taught, which she feels provides a better environment for her to express her creative freedom.

In describing herself as an artist, Meadows chose the word unprofessional.

“Not in the way that I don’t think I’m good, just I don’t have any real strategies or techniques, it’s just kind of like I’m doodling,” Meadows said.

Her medium of choice is just a paper and pencil, which she says is the most convenient, and creates the smallest mess.

The amount of time she spends on a drawing is completely reliant on how long the class period lasts, this being when she spends the most time “doodling.”

For a portrait, whether it’s of family, friends or celebrities, she will spend anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours working on her masterpiece.

Meadows’ most common subject matter overlaps with what she jokingly described as her inspiration: hot, male actors.

She also added, “Sometimes you’ll be in a place and you’re like, ‘Wow that’s really, really cool, I want to draw that.’”

As a blossoming young artist, it can be assumed that her skills would be desired by those close to her – and friends and family were no exception to this.

At one point, she had so many requests flying in for portraits and personalized artwork, she would say, “Okay, are you [going to] pay me?”

To her surprise, she was actually paid for one of her drawings, even though she thought the offer was only a joke.

“A friend of my dad’s asked if I would draw something for him, it was like a retriever on a motorcycle or something,” Meadows said. “I got $20 out of that.”

The Scholastic Art Contest, which libraries across Washington sponsor on an annual basis, receives thousands of entries from aspiring teen artists each year.

The winning artwork is posted in every library in the state, and the work of Megan Meadows has now been featured twice.

Aside from winning this contest two times, she has participated in the Edmonds Art Festival numerous times, and won a number of other competitions.

Meadows’ passion for art is something she hopes to pursue in the future.

The Northwest College of Art and Design is one of her top contenders at this point in her life, because of its proximity to her home.

Her parents are supportive and excited about what her career has in store for her, especially her father, who says he lives his art dreams through her.

Aside from drawing and painting, Meadows said she “dabbles in special effects makeup.” Digital art is something that has caught her attention as well.