Overtime goal gives Hawks a 2-1 win and 3-0 record

Photo by TK Johnson | Hawkeye Staff

Tuesday night, the Mountlake MTHS Hawks’ girls soccer team took on the Meadowdale Mavericks at Edmonds Stadium.

The first half was very good defense by both teams. Each team took a few shots, but they were off the mark or simply denied by the opposing teams goalkeeper.

During halftime, the Meadowdale crowd wanted to thank the Hawks for their support with the death of one of their students at Meadowdale, Matthew Truax. The Hawks wore blue hearts on their faces during the game in honor of Truax.

The Meadowdale fans did a really impressive thing at halftime by thanking our fans, it was really cool, a lot of sportsmanship here tonight.” assistant coach Chris Ellinger said.

In the 67th minute of the game Maddie Powers cut the first goal of the night to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.

With under a minute to go, Meadowdale tied the game up at 1-1 and the game would go into overtime.

Just a couple minutes in to overtime, Lily Hart kicked in the game-winning goal for the Hawks.

Typical, classic soccer. Take a ‘one nothing lead’, try to hold onto it, they sneak a goal in with seconds left and then we [Hawks] redeem ourselves and win it in sudden-death overtime. Incredible game.” Ellinger said.

The Hawks are now 3-0 to open the season.

The next game is Thursday, September 19th against Glacier Peak @ Lynnwood HS, 7:30 p.m.