Women’s soccer: new coach, new year

The MTHS Women’s Soccer will have a new coach this season, but with a familiar face. Counselor Evan Hatch will be taking over the soccer coaching job for the Hawks. Hatch is in no way a newbie, however.

He is entering his fifth year as a high school soccer coach. He coached the Ferndale High School JV Men’s Soccer team for two years while attending Western Washington University.

Originally, Hatch actually was majoring in Marketing and Business Management. “It was that coaching experience that shifted my career focus from Marketing and Business Management to Psychology and Education,” he said. “Working in the public school system resonated with me, and felt meaningful in a very powerful way.”

Unfortunately, Hatch’s change in focus at school caused him to quit the coaching job at Ferndale, but he has always hoped to return to coaching high school soccer while working as a high school counselor. Well, he did get that chance. He began coaching again once he finished school and was working in the counseling center at Cedarcrest High School. He coached the women’s soccer team there for two seasons before getting a counseling job in Terrace.

Hatch was no slouch either; during his final season coaching at Cedarcrest, he made it all the way to the 2A State Championship. Although his team lost 1-0 in the championship game, he said, “I will never forget the magical energy of the players as we progressed through the regular season, district playoffs, and state playoffs. It was the kind of season that every player and every coach dreams of.”

When asked about his expectations for the upcoming season, he said that he was very excited for the level of competition that he was going to get to face as a coach. “I think that Shorecrest, Shorewood, Meadowdale, and Glacier Peak are some of the strongest 3A Girls Soccer programs in the state, and I’m looking forward to the opportunity to compete against those teams.”

He also believes that the soccer program here at MTHS is “full of soccer talent, and we believe we can do very well this season.”

Mr. Hatch also mentioned that the first four games for the team are home games at Edmonds Stadium or Lynnwood High School, and urged all MTHS students to come and support our women’s soccer team.

He added, “Having fans at the game helps foster the strength and passion that our players need in order be competitive. This season won’t be easy, but the best things in life are rarely easy.”

So, although our new coach recognizes the tough competition that the Hawks will be facing this year, he also believe that our girls can have a fairly successful season, and perhaps even farther than that.