DeMiero forces Grizzlies’ bats into hibernation

DeMiero+forces+Grizzlies+bats+into+hibernation+

The Hawks and the Grizzlies face off Friday afternoon at MTHS for the final game in their 3-game series that is all knotted up at a game apiece. The Hawks will send junior right hander Dan Theis to the mound for the start – just the fourth pitcher the Hawks have used in the series. That could be the difference in this rubber match, too, as Glacier Peak has used all of its available arms at least once in the first two games.

On Wednesday, the Hawks shut down Glacier Peak with revenge in a 7-1 win at Glacier Peak High School under a frequent drizzle. After a devastating 14-8 loss in the first game of the three-game series, the Hawks turned around and fired back.

Junior pitcher Dominic DeMiero dealt a total of nine strikeouts, holding the Grizzlies hitless into the fourth inning. The left-hander went all seven innings giving up just one walk, six hits and one earned run. Contrasted with the 25 hits Glacier Peak collected on Monday – a Grizzly record – DeMiero had Glacier Peak mystified the whole game with a combination of change-ups, sliders and an occasional fastball.

While DeMiero kept Glacier Peak occupied, the Hawks put their bats to work. During the third inning with two outs and runners on 1st and 3rd , Jason Shevenko smashed a double to left to score two, and then he scored when Quintin Barnard followed up with a double of his own. DeMiero helped himself out with an RBI single to no-man’s land in shallow right field to round out the scoring for the inning.

The Hawks tacked on insurance runs later in the game and were only threatened once when the bases were loaded with no outs in the 5th. DeMiero gave up the only Grizzly run of the game when a change-up clipped the plate and got past catcher Wyatt Allemann. Still, the Hawks got out of the inning with two DeMiero strikeouts and a pop-up.

At Glacier Peak

Hawks   0  0  4  0  1  2  0 – 7  11  0

Grizzlies 0  0  0  0  1  0  0  – 1  6  3

WP-DeMiero (2-0), LP-Peterson

Hawks 2-2 (4-3)

Grizzlies 3-1 (5-2)

%%wppa%%
%%slide=14%%