Schurke wins a national award

Assistant Principal Peter Schurke received a $1,000 grant was named the third place finalist for the 2012 National Aerospace Teacher of the Year awarded by the Air Force Association.

The program’s purpose is to recognize teachers at the national level for their accomplishments and achievements in preparing students about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) so they can contribute to tomorrow’s technologies.

The criteria to be a candidate is a cover sheet that includes educational history and professional development, a professional biography, a prepared message if he or she won the award and four letters of support.

Schurke also won the Washington State Air Force Association Teacher of the Year in 2011.

In his second year at Terrace, the development of the STEM Magnet High School is one of his first administrative duties that opened in the beginning of the current school year.

There are currently 85 students in the STEM program in MTHS.

He is also advising the new rocketry club  that he wanted to replicate in Terrace when he used to be in Ingraham High School.

Speaking to MLTNews.com, Schurke said, “I am so happy to be here and to be working with such a great team.”