MTHS earns $775 in Target gift cards over the summer

Over the summer, MTHS drew state and national attention while competing for Target gift cards.On Facebook, the nationwide department store pledged to donate up to $2.5 million to K-12 schools across the country. For every 25 votes per school on Facebook, Target would donate a $25 gift card to be used for school supplies.

While no school came close to the $10,000 maximum limit, MTHS ranked among the top 10 schools nationwide for weeks. In the end, MTHS had the most votes out of any school in the state and was able to rake in a $775 in Target gift cards. With public school budgets being cut dramatically in the last few years, any additional funds are welcome news. “We could use these cards to buy supplies for our school for use by our students,” Principal Greg Schwab said. “We could also use these cards to help lowincome students with specific needs for school.”

Throughout the entire competition, there was a tremendous outpouring of support from the entire MTHS community. Many students, parents, and staff members posted on their Facebook or Twitter page about the competition. During Tour de Terrace, posters advertised the competition and members of the MTHS Key Club gave out papers to parade watchers asking them to vote. “This was an incredible showing of support and spirit from our school community,” Schwab said. “It once again reminds me that we have a great school with wonderful students, parents and staff.”

The gift cards will be shipped to MTHS in the coming weeks.