Hawk Walk: a great way to start the school year

Mountlake Terrace High School students were welcomed to attend the annual Hawk Walk, where students were able to familiarize themselves with their new classes and purchase class T-shirts and other school spirit items. It occurred on Wednesday, August 29, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Students were encouraged to bring their class schedule, which was updated on Skyward several weeks ago, so that they could request a locker of their choice and receive a general tour of all their classes. The attendance office had a long line waiting for students to get their lockers.

Erick Yanzon | The Hawkeye 
Seniors Serena Hohenstein, Jessica Jamtaas, and Sonja Head purchase their last high school class T-shirt to the senior ASB at the annual Hawk Walk.

Unfortunately, school tours were limited because certain areas of the school building are currently inaccessible due to reconstruction and renovation of the roof. The stairs in the west wing area of the building by the science department are taped off and occupied by gray girder platforms because of undergoing construction to the skylight directly above the stairs.

Also available to purchase during the time were ASB cards for $50, yearbooks for $75 with ASB and $85 without. Class T-shirts were $15 and was available in different sizes. Pom-poms were also available for two per dollar, and lanyards were $3. The Mountlake Terrace Parent-Teacher-Student Association, or PTSA,  also had tables to sign up for membership and a Senior Grad Night Party sign up for the class of 2013.

Staff members had a district meeting in the theater, and some teachers stayed, get their classrooms ready and gladly introduced themselves and welcomed incoming students to their class.