Women’s Basketball: No. 10 Shorecrest outlasts Terrace in overtime, 83-74

Despite trailing for most of the game, Shorecrest pulled out an 83-74 overtime victory over Mountlake Terrace on Friday night at the Terraceum.

Shorecrest (11-2, 8-1 WesCo 3A) entered the game as the No. 10 3A team in the state and was led by senior guard Brianne Lasconia’s game high 45 points. She scored 16 points during the fourth quarter comeback.

Lasconia had a chance to finish the game off in regulation when she was fouled after a quick steal with less than 10 seconds on the clock.  She made the first of two free throws attempts which tied the game at 70 heading into overtime. Then, a final heave at the buzzer by freshman Shaian Pagaling nearly dropped in. In overtime, the Scots pulled away with a 13-4 run to end the game.

The Hawks (4-10, 2-8 WesCo 3A) led by as many as 15 points in the third quarter. Then, with the Hawks leading 55-43 entering the fourth quarter, the Scots began to turn up the pressure defensively, causing problems for the inexperienced Hawks.  The Scots outscored Terrace 27-15 in the fourth quarter and never looked back.

“We’re inexperienced as a group in those situations and that’s what happens,” Mountlake Terrace head coach David Brophy said.

Terrace junior Taylor Smith finished the game with a season high 32 points including six 3-pointers. Pagaling added 14 points and sophomore Maddy Kristjanson had 12 points.

Mountlake Terrace’s offense was efficient, even dominant, throughout the entire game but it struggled late in regulation. Brophy also cited “defense, boxing out and rebounding” as things that the team must improve in order to stay competitive in a tough WesCo 3A league.

Fouls and free throws were also a key factor in the game. Shorecrest shot 23 of 35 from the free throw line while Terrace shot 19 of 25.  The Hawks were whistled for 20 fouls in the second half, to the ire of the MTHS fans and pep band- two people were dismissed from the game after voicing their disapproval of the foul calls. By the end of the game, the Hawks were only had four players on the court since three players had already fouled out.

Shorecrest is one of the top teams in the local area and will look to make some noise when the postseason arrives. The Scots are well-positioned for a high seeding at districts, even though it is still a month away.

However, Brophy is pleased with his team’s overall performance after nearly taking out a top contender in WesCo 3A. The Hawks lost to Shorecrest 69-31 back on Dec. 9 and it was clear that Terrace had improved since then.

“We made strides tonight in terms of how we’re going to play basketball here at Terrace,” he said.

If the growth continues, this team might just find itself a district berth in February.

Next up: Jan. 17- Mountlake Terrace vs. Shorewood at the Terraceum, 7:15 p.m.

At Mountlake Terrace:

Shorecrest – 14 17 12 27 | 13 – 83
Mountlake Terrace – 21 20 14 15 | 4 – 74

Hawks: Froehlich 2, Dashiell 5, Smith 32, Romanowski 5, Pagaling 14, Kristjanson 12, Kerr 4

Scots: Shattuck 0, Lindsey 0, Lasconia 45, Jones 5, Schlachter 1, Monson 0, Chibuogwu 9, Greenburg 12, Uppinghouse 11