Develop opportunities now and for the future

There are several extracurricular activities to choose from at school, from sports to drama to student government. Though socialization is a key factor in joining activities outside of school, the benefits extend beyond.
A survey of over 300 schools by the Minnesota State High School League showed the average student had a 2.68 GPA, student-athletes had a 2.84 average and fine-arts students averaged 2.98.
Extracurricular activities can also benefit student beyond high school. “Colleges look for students who are involved in school,” Principal Greg Schwab said. “Sometimes, being involved in club or activity can lead to leadership opportunities, something again that colleges and employers look for in prospective candidates.”
In a survey of executives at 75 Fortune 500 companies, 95 percent participated in sports and activities during school. Some 54 percent were involved in student government, 43 in the National Honor Society, 37 in music and 18 percent in the school’s publications.
Another option for extracurricular activities is clubs. “Joining clubs is a great way to show that you are involved and engaged in your school,” Schwab said. “You learn new things and have the opportunity to do something you are passionate about. Clubs are a natural fit for students’ interest and talents. You are spending extra time doing something that you love. And you get a chance to interact with other students who share similar interests.”
There is an endless variety of possibilities for clubs; however, not all of the options are available yet. That’s where a student can come in to start a new club.
“Students who are interested in starting a club need to talk with (ASB adviser) Stew and then find a staff member who is willing to serve as the adviser for the group. The club needs to be [then] approved by ASB,” Schwab said.